Doom & Gloom, Nausea, Adrenaline, Chest weirdness; ...it's my HOT FLASH!

Posted , 13 users are following.

You can be having a great time and then as Juanita said in a previous post - you start having these horrible thoughts come from nowhere - for me I've finally figured it out;  it's a Hot Flash!

With or Without Sweating - it's a Hot Flash!

For those who've been on the forum for a while - you probably already know this, LOL! I'm the new girl on the block.

Yet I read all of these posts that describe these experiences of jelly legs, suffocating feeling in chest, can't breathe, dizzy spells, nausea etc. I went to the ER thinking I was having a heart attack in April - the female doctor said it's vasomotor symptoms (aka Menopause Hot Flash). And yet - even when this happens I still think - should I go to the ER again? 

I think some of the "experts", LOL, like to call them a panic attack because it has a lot of the same symptoms. And yet all of the Meno "experts" call them Hot Flashes. 

Sometimes I consider posting my symptoms that come on before a hot flash. My symptoms can be different with every single hot flash! I had no idea it was a hot flash but I'm starting to figure this out after nearly 3 months of it. If you are having a lot of the other peri or menopause symptoms - then, like ME, at age 49 and for the first time; this is all new and it was all very unsettling/scary! 

My recovery time: Because my hot flashes feel like a fight or flight feeling that comes from out of nowhere - it can take me SO long to recover from the experience. And this makes sense to me. If any of you have been in an intense/scary situation with adrenaline; you know what that feels like and can remember it ...

- it can WIPE YOU OUT both emotionally and physically! Not all of the time - but when I have an intense one I am so drained. 

It is hard to get used to these hot flashes. When I start to have one I want to go and hide! I started a natural progesterone cream and I'm hoping this will give me marked improvement in the coming months. 

Would love to hear how you all cope when you are having these "moments". At times I've thought of just saying out loud - excuse me - I'm having a Hot Flash. What do you all do? Find a bathroom? Hide out?

5 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I get awful tummy issues too , severe constipation, I’ve had this since I had my last period and started going through menopause, I’ve had IBS which started st the same time as menopause, during hot flashes I have a range of horrible symptoms that I named above in my previous post, god bless us all we are all suffering , keep going girls it can only get better x 
  • Posted

I straight up said to the MUCH younger men I used to work with, "If you see me sweating over here, it's just a hot flash!" Personally, I have NO problem talking about menopause. My son and hubby are well educated, even though I know it makes them feel a tad uncomfortable.

• Posted

HI Nancy!  My son is well educated on the subject too...hopefully it with help him with the ladies in the long run.  That or scare him to death of going near a girl!  There was a comedian years ago that said never trust something that bleeds for 7 days and doesn’t die 🤣🤣

• Posted

Hi Lou! Thanks for the laugh. I remember that!😜 One of my male friends told me a while ago that my daughter in law would be a lucky girl. That really made me feel good!

• Posted

Nancy - that is great! smile My family has been given the full lowdown of what I am going through. I've thought of making a shirt that says Please have MERCY - I am in Menopause, LOL! Or hold up a sign that I keep in my purse that says the same thing. I am noticing some of my friends get really irritable or angry during a flash. For me it's usually feeling weepy or doom and gloom. Thankfully it's temporary!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.