Dosage advice Carbimazole & ALCAR

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am hoping some knowledgeable people on here will be able to advise me.

I was diagnosed with Graves Disease in March 2018, began on 40mg of Carbimazole and FT3 and FT4 were in range quite quickly, gradually reduced the Carbimazole and currently on 10mg daily.

As with many people my TSH stayed stuck at 0.01 so after much reading around, in August 2019 I began taking 1000mg of ALCAR with my Carbimazole and my TSH has risen (my GP was sceptical but I don’t believe in coincidence).

My blood results on 14th Jan were:

TSH – 0.70 (0.35-4.94)

FT3 – 3.9 (2.63-5.70)

FT4 – 13.2 (9.01-19.05)

I would be grateful for any advice as my next blood test will be in 3 months and I want to avoid going hypo in that time.

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, really glad you are feeling well. many congrats on your new Grandchild, wonderful news. Yes, do go to the Dr and get a test if you feel tired, will do no harm and, potentially might end giving you more energy for the new baby!! Stay well .

• Posted

Hi,

I hope everyone is keeping well.

This week I had a blood test following my dosage changes in January. I had a different phlebotomist this time and despite asking for FT3 as well as FT4 and TSH she did not request from the lab so I will work with the figures I do have for a couple of months in the light of more pressing problems in the country.

The results were, TSH 1.96 (0.34 -5.6), T4 12.00 (7.5-21.1).

My TSH has increased and T4 fallen to a lower percentage in range.

I have adjusted my dosages to 1,000mg Acetyl l Carnitine and Alternating 7.5mg & 5mg Carbimazole. I am slightly nervous that might be too big a drop in Carbimazole but using the T4 as a reference I think there is scope for a reasonable reduction.

Does anyone have any input on this please?

Many thanks!

• Posted

Hello,

Well done, that is fantastic!! I had a similar reading yesterday TSH 0.78, T4 12 T3 4 . I have been on 5 mgs carbimazole every other day , 1000 l carnitine alternating to 500 l carnitine and 500 ACar. My endo wanted me to stop carbimazole completely. I said Id rather remain on it. Especially given the pandemic. I plan to reduce my carbimazol to 2.5 every other day and leave my carnitines as they are. Then I shall start lowering them slowly. Very slowly. I know that others have felt better off the carnitines but I feel fine on them and am in no rush to cone off. Slowly, slowly.

I think you should reduce both your carbimazol and Alcar. I would still take it but swap to regular carnitine. alternative days. You are at the bottom of the range and probably would feel better with your T4 a bit higher. I would be delighted with tour TSH if i was you, you can afford to drop you Alcar now.

very well done!!

• Posted

Hi,

Delighted to see you have progressed well! My own journey has faltered slightly.

Following my previous post after one month I again changed my dosage to 2000mg L Carnitine,

500mg ALCAR and 5mg Carbimazole.

My blood results taken last week were:

TSH- 0.25 (0.34-5.6)

FT4 – 13.30 (7.5-21.1)

FT3 - 7.10 (3.8-6.8)

My GP was not concerned and said continue on the Carbimazole at 5mg and I have increased the ALCAR to 1500mg.

Once before when I used regular L carnitine my numbers regressed (maybe it is not the right supplement for me?)

I feel well so need to see what my next blood results are.

• Posted

Hi,

I am wondering why you don't go back to 1000 mgs of ALCAR? You responded previously. Don't be disheartened, it's trial and error and given what we are living threw it's amazing our thyroids aren't through the roof!

I would be careful not to stay on such a high dose for too long.

Hang in there.

• Posted

Hello,

I decided to take 1500mg ALCAR to hopefully boost TSH as when I took that dose before it rose from 0.70 (0.35-4.94) to 1.96 (0.34-5.6), Ithen dropped to 500mg and TSH fell markedly. I will have another blood test in July and see where I am then.

Thanks for your input and support

• Posted

My Graves recovery journey continues. The latest blood test results on 1500mg ALCAR and 5mg Carbimazole daily are:

TSH – 0.11 (0.34 -5.6)

T4 – 14.10 (7.5-21.1)

No T3 result despite being assured by the nurse that was on my test list, I wonder if it wasn’t tested as it was in range last time.

Despite my TSH not increasing I am reasonably pleased as I was made redundant at the end of August and again two weeks before testing.

I have decreased by Carbimazole dosage to 5mg and 2.5mg on alternate days and will remain on 1500mg of ALCAR.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.