Dosage advice for naltrexone after gastric bypass?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I just read that perhaps after bypass surgery the dosage may need to be bumped up a bit due to reduced intestinal absorption. Anyone have knowledge or experience?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

C3 Europe has mentioned this too, but I think you'd have to check it with your doctor to get the right dosage for your situation. 

• Posted

Wov! Too technical for me. I only know about dangers concerning alcohol. Are you perhaps in the wrong forum?
  • Posted

Doctors have told us that IF you have a reason to believe that you might not be fully protected by the naltrexone (perhaps you are not gaining benefit from it, or your drinking is still uncontrolled despite taking steps to try and help reduce it) then it MIGHT be because a gastric bypass will reduce the absorption of the naltrexone.  For example, you may be taking a 50mg tablet, but only getting 30mg absorbed.

If you think this might be the case with you, then you need to consult with a doctor to see if they think this might be the case, too.  Doctors do know that all of the gastric bypasses available can potentially have an effect of absorption of all foods and medicines.  If you were taking another medication, the same could be true so doctors are there to advise of any potential dosage changes for their patient's individual circumstances.

The difficulty is that no-one can accurately guage your absorption levels, so a doctor may increase you dose in stages to see if you notice any difference each time.  In the above example, they may suggest another half tablet in the hope that taking 75mgs means you absorb 50mg..... and if that doesn't make any difference, then the next month step you up to 100mgs to see if that means you notice a difference and therefore enough naltrexone is being absorbed to fully protect you.

But it really needs to/should be a doctors decision.

• Posted

Thank you Joanna, I was thinking along those same lines, just nice to have confirmation. I think the 50mg is helping, just wondering how much is actually at work.
    • Posted

Sheryl, one thing that can be helpful to keep in mind is that TSM is very up and down for everyone. Often, there's a rebound after a fresh low in your drinking volumes. That's completely normal, it happened to me and it just seems to be the way TSM goes. On a monthly basis, you'll see that your numbers are dropping and both the peaks and valleys in your graph are getting lower. Just stay steadfastly compliant and you will win this battle. 

• Posted

Thanks for the encouragement, I haven't been tracking volume, but will start. I can say I've experienced a win with leaving an open bottle of wine in the fridge. Usually I feel compelled to finish it up. There was even one night with no alcohol so I know it's making a difference. I'm so thrilled!

• Posted

I’m not medically trained, so am only giving my opinion .

Most gastric band surgery results in mal-absorption of vitamins and medications and may require an increased dose.

You need to discuss this with your doctor. Some medications are able to be crushed which gives a better absorption.

Whether Naltrexone is one of the medications which can be crushed, Ive no idea. I suspect no, as I’m sure Joanna would have commented

Only a qualified medical practitioner can give you correct advice

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.