dosage of ami

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was prescribed 25mg Ami 3 weeks ago at night and to up it after the first week. I did not up it because of fear of being drowsy I am till having chronic neck pain during the day but can sleep at night. Sould I up it to 50mg or should I up it at a smaller amount?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Sorry you are experiencing chronic neck pain. I would suggest talking to your GP. At the same time, it's important that you have some say over whether you up the dose or not. You may find you up the dose and still have pain during the day. I take ami so I can sleep even though I am in pain-previously the pain would have kept me up. But like I said, If your GP with the kind you can talk it over with, do so. Hope this helps.

All the best.

• Posted

Try dragon for your pain and try Dalay for sleep it only sells at walgreens where they all the stuff that comes out in walgreens TV Commercials. I used to be on ambien and i got off of it cuz I was in many accidents car accidents. cus the following dayit was still in my system and id have black outs .
  • Posted

My experience with amitriptyline came after I had withdrawal symptoms coming off mirtazapine. I was on that [evil drug] for around 5 years before I took the plunge, felt great about myself for a change and decided to come off it. In the process, I didn't sleep for a month give or take half an hour here or there every 2 or 3 days.

My GP gave me amitriptyline at a lower dose of 10mg - which is the therapeutic dose for people with insomnia. I got 5 nights of amazing sleep because of it. 10 hours straight each night in fact. The only downside was the fact that it made me want to kill myself, so the doctor took me off it after a week, prescribed me with nothing and I went out and exercised more instead.

I'd talk to your GP first before taking any advice from anybody online but one of the most common side effects of it is drowsiness. Second, I'd ask a pharmacist about it because they know more than the GP's about medication anyway. The mid-dosage of medication that I've taken has always been the harshest when it comes to side effects, so I'd dread to think what it would've been like if he decided to put me on 25mg like you have been.

Remember though that the medication isn't a long term solution to your problem and if you go up to 50mg, withdrawal will be a lot harder, even if in the short term the side effects you experience aren't harsh. Also consider what drugs can be taken alongside it to alleviate the neck pain.

• Posted

Try dragon for your pain and try Dalay for sleep it only sells at walgreens where they have all the stuff that comes out in walgreens TV Commercials. I used to be on ambien and i got off of it cuz I was in many accidents car accidents. cus the following dayit was still in my system and id have black outs .
  • Posted

Ok sorry your talking about amitri I thought you meant ambiem for sleep So what was your question?
  • Posted

Hi shauna, I started at 10 mg, upped to 25mg and then on advice of neurologist upped to 50mg gradually, for neck, and facial pain. I am currently back to10mg. I would say that it does make you a bit drowsy next day but I found that this became less of a problem the longer I was on it. Each time you up the dose it will make you pretty drowsy again until you get used to it. I wouldn't go straight to 50 mg but do it in stages 10mg at a time so you can get used to the dosage each time. If you are unsure have a chat to your Dr about it. If you do it in stages you may find you don't need 50mg. I have been on varying doses of amitriptyline for2 - 3 yrs now so feel that I know it quite well. I tried coming off it for 6 wks but couldn't manage without so back on a v small dose which just takes the edge off the pain. Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.