dosage of mirtazapine.

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, I started taking mirtazapine 15mg  2 months ago, I found it very hard to wake myself up the morning, so I have reduced the dose to 7.5, i dont feel too lethargic now, i dont know wether it is safe to do that. A few years ago i was on mirtazapine for depression ( stopped 4 years ago) i was consuming quite a bit of alcohol so i  think it took away a good bit of the affect of mirtazapine. Has anyone else been fine with just taking 7.5. Thank you for your time in reading this.     Chinney

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Chinney

As you've only been on 15 mg for 2 months you may be OK dropping 50%, as most people suffer with anxiety & other symptoms tapering 50%.

I'm currently taking 7.5 mg; I can still feel the sedation and sometimes it's difficult to get moving out of bed even on that - you see the lower doses are more sedating for some, but see how you go ... see if your head is clearer on this.  Do bear in mind that although the lower doses help greatly as sleep aid, the higher doses are best for actual depression - but if your problem in anx' or sleep difficulty this should be ok.

If you start to feel anxiety after a few days, it will be the withdrawal effect, it;s difficult to say how long it may last in your case, but you should be ok after a day or two anyways.

Wishing you well  smile

• Posted

Are you still around.  I am having such prroblems with mirtazapine. Had terrible trouble with sertraline, duloxetine, lofepramine and ended up,here with 7.5. Dr asked me to try to raise to 15 but gave me zombie feelings with migraine and auras daily so back down dose. Diazepam my only help for anxiety. How domi get back to normal, can i drop mirtaz or will that increase anxiety. I also have nausea and agitation I think from pure frustration.  
    • Posted

Hi Ann

Poor you ... all those different AD's.  

When you ask "how do I get back to normal" - do you mean how you were before when you were on 7.5 mg Mirt ??  When you went to 15mg how long have you been there?  (Presume you are still at 15mg)??

• Posted

Hi i started a post about this drug I'm not sure to keep on it I've only had it one day but it was awful.

• Posted

No couldnt bear the effects of 15 so back down to 7.5 which as you say helps sleep but not depression.   Have such a bad track record with these meds, they just dont do the right thing for me.  CPN has suggested what i need is psychological approach to see if that works, so may suggest at next psych appt. Normal would be how well i was before all this!!!
    • Posted

Down to 7.5 again, this is fourth time. Psych now wants to add olanzapine to see if he can jump,start me as all these anti deps not able to increase dosage.  All i know is that im feeling very flat and down. I dont know whether tomfollow his advice or not

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.