dose anyone have a underactive thyroid and colitis

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have really bad abdominal pains and blood in stool and diarrhea and I just recently got diagnosed with underactive thyroid

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jason, 

I do, although I was diagnosed the other way round, diagnosed with UC about 2 years ago, then when I finally got that under control about October last year I started getting underactive thyroid symptoms (think the active UC probably masked lots of the thyroid symptons) and got diagnosed with that, am still trying to get the right level of levothyroxine sorted, up to 100mg but need more bloods taken soon to see what my levels are - I seem to be doing ok on the levothyroxine for it - how do you find it? 

Laura

• Posted

Well i just started my med today and i have a gastro appointment coming soon to see if i go uc .....but but what i no is that if i got underactive thyroid one of the symptoms are constipation but why do i have diarrhea
    • Posted

That's the main symptom my UC was masking, I was suffering from diarrhea with blood and mucous from before my diagnosis in summer 2013 up until I got into remission about October last year, couple of weeks later the constipation started, I couldn't believe it!  Fortunately I had a really good nurse practitioner who checked for underactive thyroid when I went to see her and so was diagnosed and put on meds for it very quickly and got some real relief from the constipation once my levothyroxine was upped to about 75mg. I think if your UC is active you're gonna have diarrhea no matter what really.  Hope that helps 
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with gravesend disease, over achive thyroid which is auto immune disease in 2009 and then gastritis in 2013 and UC earler this year. Think they are often related conditions... All are controlled at present but I do rattle when I walk with all the medication. Hopefully they'll manage to get you under some sort of control

• Posted

Hiya

I have had colitis for 2.5yrs now(currently under control with meds). One of my ongoing symptoms even when colitis under control is fatigue & getting physically tired more easily than Mr or Mrs average. Underactive thyroid can often cause fatigue/tiredness too. Last year I had my thyroid levels checked when I had a routine blood test, & one of the 2 levels they test was at the high end of normal. I've just had it rechecked a year later & one of the 2 levels they test has risen again to "elevated" level, but the other one they check is still normal. So I am borderline now, & have to have it rechecked in 6mths. My gp said my current levels should not cause symptoms, but it needs to be monitored. I read I think on wiki pedia page for underactive thyroid that people with inflammatory bowel disease (colitis, chrohns etc) do often develop thyroid problems. Also colitis is an autoimmune condition & so is underactive thyroid so there are links. I'm no doctor, but this is what I've found out myself for my own health problems. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hiya

1st symptoms of colitis were blood/mucus in stool & continuing diarrhea. That is what led me to go to gp initially who referred me to gastroenterology at my local hosp. I had several scopes - sigmoidoscopy, colonoscopy with biopsies which confirmed it. I also got bloating, stomach pain which radiated to back when before during & after having a bowel movement, & very noticeable fatigue & physical tiredness (which I still have even though its clinincally under control-the tiredness). If you haven't been referred to a gastroenterologist, maybe you should ask your doc to do this so they can investigate for you to confirm if you have it. I also have ibs-d , fructose malabsorption (just diagnosed & waiting to see dietician for help with diet), & bile acid malabsorption-bam for short (just diagnosed). regarding bile acid malabsorption - I was tested for this due to chronic diarrhea & stomach pain with a sehcat test at hosp. bile acid malabsorption mimics the symptoms of ibs-d & is as common as 1 in 3 ibs-d sufferers. the sehcat test involves taking a safe mildly radioactive tracer capsule that mimics bile acid & then having a quick scan. you go back 7 days later & they scan you again. from this they can tell if too much "free bile acid" is leaving your body via your colon which causes diarrhea, irritation, & stomach ache. I have been put on medication for this(sachets dissolved in water) 4wks ago, & my diarrhea & stomach ache & rectal soreness have improved by about 80%. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Can you have colitis for years and not notice just blood in stool like 2 or 3 times a month you get a pain in your stomach at the same time you bleed and then it gose away or colitis is something once u see blood the pain comes and gets worst cause that what im goin though cause that what happening to me at first i had blood with a little pain at the same time i see the blood then it will go away after im done with the toilet that was on goin for a few years....now i got pain in the stomach but it doesn't seem to go away..diarrhea vomiting weak and the blood seems to be the same 3 to 4 times a month
  • Posted

Hiya

I think you can have it for a while, but you would notice changes, & maybe just try & live with it hoping it will settle. Only when you realise its ongoing & not really normal do you tend to think "maybe I ought to get this checked out". I think I probably had it for at least 18mths before actually being diagnosed, due to change in bowel movements - chronic (explosive frequently) diarrea, & feeling of incomplete emptying often, excessive tiredness, & random stomach pain. It was only once I started getting blood & mucus I went to docs - they initially thought it might be internal hemerroids & treated me for that! but when the bleeding didnt improve they referred me to colorectal surgeon initially who did a rigid sigmoidoscopy, & said it looked like colitis & then referred me on to gastroenterology for further investigation. which turned out to confirm colitis. Stomach pain can range from random to almost constant, mild , moderate, intense, dull aching to sharp or intense aching/cramping. everyone is different, & one day can be different to another(ok to terrible). It is not a black & white condition - it varies from person to person, & there can be other complications- my consultant told me it is common for patients with inflammatory bowel disease (colitis & crohns) to also have ibs. It can make you feel weak because of the fatigue it causes in most sufferers. & often nauseus & erratic appetite. Best you see your gp & get referred to gastroenterolgy at your local hosp, & maybe mention the sehcat test I mentioned previously too. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Have you ever notice blood like years before you diagnose with colitis
  • Posted

My doc thought it was internal hemerroids initially (blood & pain) but, no from what I remember, I think I probably first had blood about 9 -12mths before being diagnosed with colitis.
  • Posted

I inherited both conditions from my mother.  Her father's side of the family had the colitis, while her mother's side of the family had a history of hypothyroidism, most likely caused by some form of Hashimoto's Autoimmune thyroid disease, though we're not entirely sure if it is actually that.  Because of the colitis, doctors kept missing my thyroid disease for years. You can get both problems, and an endocrinologist told me that autoimmune diseases tend to come in clusters. I have to be treated for both diseases with different medications.  If the colitis isn't treated, then the thyroid supplement isn't absorbed properly, so it is imperative if you have both, to be treated for both diseases to avoid complications.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.