Dose increase - rash and itching, going insane

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I've been on Citalopram for at least 5 years now, only 20mg. Recently my doctor increased my dose to 30mg and I have itching all over my body which is very sore and driving me insane. I am constantly itchy and my skin has a lot of red patches all over it which is very unsightly. I have been putting E45 anti-itch cream all over and have gone back down to 20mg, I have only been on the increased dose for just over a week. I can't take antihistamines due to having Epilepsy. Has anyone else had itching after a dose increase, when does it stop/get better.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

yeap im on day 8 on increasing citalopram 30mg to 40mg and my legs are so itchy

• Posted

It's horrible isn't it 😦 and I increased dose due to a recent relationship breakdown and just generally feeling very down due to it and feeling like I needed extra help. Spoke to my doctor who suggested a slight increase in dose but I've gone back down now as I can't handle the intense itching

• Posted

Hi Nicole,just seen your post,I go through the exact same thing and having it now really badly.It's from the increase in Serotonin. I'm on Fluvoxamine and had it on every increase of dosage. The higher the dosage the worse it gets. I suffer from eczema anyway,but very little normally. I have also taken a form of magnesium which has considerably increased the effects of the antidepressant,and my eczema has gone through the roof with itching, scratching,dry patches,truly horrendous. I was also stupidly taking 5-htp with 20mg Citalopram 2 years ago and it was all over my neck,body,everywhere for 6 months till I stopped both,but never had it on Citalopram 20mg or 30mg by itself. It should calm down after a while,but if it doesn't I think it indicates too much Serotonin in the brain. Sometimes too much is as bad as too little,and who knows what antidepressants are really doing, nobody knows what affect they have 100%.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.