Dose of thyroxine lowered

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been on thyroxine for 20 yrs and my recent blood test showed I was on too much , I was on 150 so I have been lowered to 125 . I'm feeling exhausted and not sleeping very well , would it affect me that much ? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Were you feeling well on 150? Do you know what your TSH was? Blood tests alone don't tell the whole story, so maybe you need the 150.

• Posted

Didn't get told . I felt ok but struggle to lose weight . They checked the results twice , i am on a non steroidal anti inflammatory for a frozen shoulder so they requested the blood tests and my thyroid test was due so I asked for it to be done . I have been on 125 for a week now .i Will give it another week if I feel the same I will go back and see them .

• Posted

Good Idea. Also ask what your TSH level was and what the "normal" range is. If you can, go on Google and Wikipedia and find out more.

• Posted

I wouldn't place any credence in the TSH test. Thyroid Stimulating Hormone is made by the pituitary gland. A bogus test for your thyroid levels! Ask for FreeT4, Free T3, and Reverse T3 tests. My TSH is suppressed. But when docs try to go by TSH test on me, they put me in a near death feeling mode. Zero energy, depressed, obese, etc. No life whatsoever. My two cents worth. Good luck to you!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.