Doses of Propranolol

Posted , 16 users are following.

I take 40mg Propranolol 3 times a day, my doctor didn't give me set times to take my doses, just as needed.......only problem being is that I'm now waking up at stupid times in the morning, like right now its 4:20am ... I'm being woken up with panic attacks, that's the condition i take them for.......I have had to take 1 dose already but i know for a fact i will need my 3 doses today also....obviously I'm not going to take another 3 doses after I've had 1 already, but i wondered if anyone had any advice that could help as i feel these may not be the tablets for me as i suffer from multiple panic attacks per day, i.e 9+ panic attacks......this may sound stupid but i feel i need to take something as and when needed, not dose required because i always feel i need to take more, no matter how far i try space them apart.

I'm also on venlafaxine 37.5mg x2 per day also for my panic attacks.

Danielle x

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Camomile tea is amazing. Try hypnosis as well! i would say exercise also helps- especially swimming. IT exercises all your muscles too and uses up all the excess cortisol you have in your body! i would also try writing down a diary of all the things you are thinking! you may have surface thoughts that have hidden triggers for example for me i had thoughts for ages like "what if life isn't real!" etc which triggered me to panic. Try find out when your panic attacks actually started happening what lead up to even months before because the thoughts you are probably having now go in a cycle. Another thing is dont fight your panic! embrace it as much as you can because when you fight it makes it worse. Your panic will wear off eventually! finally, always remember that you have the rest of your life to beat anxiety and tomorrow is a different day- put an action plan in place so when you feel panicked thats what you do e.g

mine is lie completely still because even though anxiety makes you feel like you just want to run and i embrace the panic- my stomach drops, my heart races and i cant think straight and every negative thought makes it worse but after the inital peak of anxiety it levels out.

B) make yourself a camomile tea and have as many as you need to calm down

c) call a friend- tell them what happened, why you had that panic attack etc

i think for me the biggest thing was realising my anxiety boiled down to my self esteem and this in combination with my boyfriend, past experiences in high school/ college and starting uni conditioned me to have low self esteem. Your problems come from somwhere you just need to find it and be willing to change your life style and 'grab the bull by the horns' thats what i id anyway. My anxiety was terrible for a 2 week period but I got on top of it straight away! another thing is and i hope this isn't too personal but around the time of my period my hormones make me anxious so i went on the progesterone only pill to balance out my hormones and it has made me feel much better. Surround yourself with positive people and just know that you aren't alone in feeling like this

one last piece of advice

CHALLENGE YOUR THOUGHTS THAT MAKE YOU ANXIOUS! xxxx

• Posted

I'm so glad you found the light at the end of the tunnel.

I may buy camomile tea myself.

Best wishes

• Posted

Ok so tried the whole challenge my thoughts, writing everything down etc......it just made me have a worse panic attack so i had to give up.....im just sick of the sleepless nights now, i know its not doing anything for my anxiety but i cant help it, everytime i close my eyes to go to sleep i have a panic attack and bam!! I'm awake again.....this happens several times a night, i generally don't get to sleep until 3-4am and its killing me because then my anxiety is worsened by the fact that then i don't get up until almost 12 by which point i feel I've wasted half a day.........it all ties in with my panic attacks, trust me............im just sick of it now, its really starting to p**s me off big style, not to mention at times i feel its taking a toll on my relationship.

Just running out of ideas here.

Danielle xxx

• Posted

Hi Danielle,

I'm new to this board and had posted regarding another issue with Propranolol. But I had a good solid year of dealing with panic attacks, so I empathize with you.

My attacks were very similar to yours. I got through the day mostly ok, but at night it would creep up on me and, BOOM! I used many prescription drugs to deal with the attacks and some helped, but were addictive. I ended up with a physician-aided addiction to Xanax. Trust me, the panic attacks are preferable to that type of addiction.

One day I just flushed everything down the toilet and went cold turkey. This is NOT recommended. But I survived, came out stronger, and realized the attacks were caused by a problem that I needed to face and deal with - not medicate away. Once I did that, I never had another attack and the anxiety also quit.

I guess I am trying to let you know that things can get better, and they will if you can wrap your head around when all of this started and what the "demon" in you head is. Trust me, we all have them.

• Posted

Hey Danielle. I'm also on propranolol, in my first week actually. I'm also on some (new ish) anti depressant/anxiety medication. It is tough looking at the bright side when you are still getting all the physical and mental affects of a panic attack but stay open minded and positive, try not to stress and over panic as it's not going to help, you have maybe become a little paranoid over the meds (as I do at times, anything to take the panic attack away) it's also caused me lack of sleep and ability to do activities or even get out bed everyday, but the first few weeks are always the roughest as your body is trying to adjust to the chemicals of the medication and take a while to take action. I was very apprehensive about taking both of my medication because the anxiety and panic that I suffer with badly has made me paranoid. Try your hardest to relax before, during and after your panic attacks they won't last forever, try to sit it out for as long as you can I mean, the very last min till you reach for a tablet, gaining control over your panic attacks will help massively, it's a rough up and down ride but I'm sure you will be ok in the long run, I suggest seeing your doctor or calling whenever you feel something is wrong or you need more meds rather than coming on here as lots of people have different views but we are all here trying to help I'm sure we all understand how horrible it is. Best of luck, regards. - Ell x
  • Posted

Hi Danielle,

I have been taken propranolol for about 8 months for PA. At first my doctor gave me 40 mg when needed up to three times a day. Sometimes it helped other times it made a little anxious as I felt tired and dizzy. I began taking 10 mg/3 times a day religiously 15 days ago. What a difference!!! I feel fantastic no anxiety, tiredness or dizziness. I think the previous dose of 40 was two strong and I have benefited by taking less but having a steady amount of propranolol in my bloodstream.

Large amounts of medication is not always better. Continuity and working with my body's sensitivities has worked for me.

I was so scared to take propranolol regularly in case of side effects or addiction. Bare in mind that it took a few days for the anxiety to disappear completely (about 3-5 days) but in retrospect I wish I had the clarity of mind to realised that continuity was the key. I don't have to worry any longer about the next panic attack and how much med to take. I just feel relax.

I hope this helps

Take care

Alex

• Posted

I realize this is old posting.  Wondered if you are still taking the propranolol 10 mg 3x daily???
  • Posted

Hi dannie,i take propanalol x2 80mg and take venlafaxine,but im prescribed at 225mg,maybe you could talk to your doctor to higher your dose.im much calmer now,but there was a time when i know what you were going through,a mild sleeper of a night,i take over the counter phenergran,i now snore all night.!! Good luck and stay strong..mark

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.