Dosing while laid up

Posted , 8 users are following.

As many of you know, I've broken my left ankle, sprained my right ankle and bruised my rib cage on my left side when I fell getting out of my car (just call me grace) I have lots of impressive bruising too. I've also caught a chest cold, I've had diarrhea for a week and developed a rash on my back while I was staying at the rehab facility. So I'm one big mess.

So my question is how should I dose my prednisone? In the hospital I was suppose to get 12 mg but found out on day 3 they were only giving me 5 mg! So now that I'm home and deciding my own dosage should I stick to 12 mg, or bump it up because of the stress I'm in? I know not to try reducing right now and I've not been experiencing and extra pain so 12 mg is still good.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

First, commiserations. What have you done to deserve this? No, I know, it doesn't work like that.

I'm usually pretty careful of recommending anything in the dose department and this is just my experience.

When I reacted spectacularly to an intolerance/reaction to penicillin my pred. was bumped up to 20 from 8 on hospital instructions for 7 days and then straight back to 8 so obviously they considered the big jump and immediate return to lower dose was safe. (  I asked!! ).  Others will have a more knowledgeable view but I should think you could up it a bit rather than wait for reaction to the"deprived" three days on 5.

Did they offer any explanation or was it just the usual lack of communication?.

Must be lovely to be home. Best wishes.

• Posted

If 12mg is good why go higher? What goes up must come down...

Honestly - what a disgusting way to manage patients!!! No chance of a complaint I suppose though?

Glad you are home - and hope you are managing OK.

• Posted

I just want to comment on the rash on the back : are you sure you have not developed shingles???

for the rest I would stick with the lowest dose that give you sufficient pain relieve, so if it is 12 go for 12 but if you can manage a lower dose go for that!  

Bein charge of yr own body and follow what yr heart tells you , all the very best. Ida.

• Posted

Thank you all for replying. I think based on what everyone here is saying and my own thoughts that I'm going to stick with the 12 mg that I'm currently taking. I do not think I'm going to try reducing at this time I think that would just be asking for trouble. And it's for 8 weeks which actually in terms of the slow reduction schedule is not a huge reduction amount.

I am home and God help me I'm glad I am. I really thought I was going to die in that facility. They botched up so much with my medication and with the way they treated me or did not treat me. And the disappointment really was that everybody said what a great facility it was. I do plan on reporting them to the health department. I do not want anyone else to go through what I did. I think there's something sick about that building.

Also to answer your question about it being shingles I'm confident that it is not shingles. I had shingles when I was in 3rd grade and I remember how painful it was. This is not at all painful and it's just an incessant itching. My husband has been rubbing some cortisone medicine on my back and the itching has gotten a lot better. I will be seeing my GP on Wednesday and I'm hoping by then that the rash will have shown some improvement by then.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.