Dosulepin

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been on 50mg Dosulepin daily for about 3 months. I experience 'jumping' nerves in my legs, aswell as nerve sensations in my face. I have also experienced 'hot spots' - where I suddenly get a feeling of increased warmth in legs, or lower back.

Not uncomfortable - just disconcerting. Has anyone else faced similar symptoms :o

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have been on Dosulepin 150mg for nearly two weeks now. Along with Mertazapine 45mg, Diazapam 10mg x4 daily and dicloflex 50mg x3 daily.

I have just started feeling some side affects. Can't stop eating, and feeling like a Zombie throughout the day and night.

I can't keep my eyes open for more than an hour at a time.

I am due to see my G.P tomorrow and will be asking him to find me alternative medication to this one.

My depression state is no better, as I am asleep most of the time anyway.

To be honest, I would not recomend this medication to anyone unless they suffer severe Insomnia. I also suffer Insomnia, but do not want to be doped up to the extreme of not being able to stay awake for more than a hour at any one time. That includes day & night. :zzz:

• Posted

Gosh that's an awfully high dose of each medication particularly the diazepam :?

No wonder you feel like a zombie and can't keep your eyes open.

Do you take your Dosulepin at night?

I am on 150mg (for pain relief and to help with sleep as I have ME), and it suits me well ..... I take it before going to bed.

I'm very surprised at the strength of your combined medication. I think you should consult your GP and perhaps have it reviewed.

• Posted

I'm certainly not zombified or doped up but I am on the 'heavy duty' meds that you describe. I currently take Prothiaden 150mg 1,000mg lithium and at the moment 15mg of mirtazapine. It has been as much as 30mg of mirtazapine and 175mg of prothiaden. I have been on the older combo for about ten years and when I'm ill I still have difficulty going to sleep! Prothiaden/dothiepin have a sedative effect and so does the mirtazapine. Mirtazapine is often used as a combo to boost existing meds. It too has a powerful sedative effect but usually only in the lower doses. Mirtazapine might be difficult to withdraw from and should be done in a controlled way with your GPs help by tapering. Go back to your GP or Psychiatrist and tell him that your meds are not working for you. Are you suffering from depression? I have severe recurrent depressive disorder currently stable. Pooh.
  • Posted

Ps mirtazapine might make you hungry and crave carbs and sweet things. I have put on a stone and a half because of it. Take care do not worry about what other people think about your meds
  • Posted

That wasn't intended as a criticism, I can assure you.

It is a high dose of diazepam and is enough to make anyone feel like a 'zombie'.

Further advice from your GP or psychiatrist would certainly be advisable and this is obviously what you quite rightly intend to do.

• Posted

I have a few more points to add. Dothiepin is usually prescribed when other newer anti depressants have failed. It is old and has a proven track record. It does have a powerful sedative effect.It is normally take at night to increase those benefits. A 'dose' of 75mg- 150mg is usually regarded as a therapeutic dose.most patients tolerate it well. Higher doses do make people feel sedated but those effects usually wear off after a few hours of waking. Why I have been on dothiepin all this time I dont know. I lead a full life and have a family and a part time job. Outofmymind is in the early stages of his/her illness so her GP will not have sorted out her meds yet. The high dose of valium could be the maximum allowed each day. I have valium which I take if I have uncontrollabe panic. I would not be able to live a fulfilling life if I was doped up to the eyeballs. I asked my psych if he would take me off prothiaden his answer was only in a hospital setting. I feel irritated and annoyed for myself and other people if these misconceptions are made. I need to be on my anti depressants to keep well. I know how devastating it would be for myself and my family if I were to become ill again.
  • Posted

Please don't think for one minute that I am 'knocking' antidepressant medication ..... I have several bipolar friends who would not be able to exist without their medication ....... it is absolutely vital to their quality of life through no fault of their own.

I do however feel, that the dosage of diazepam is at present too high for outofmymind, and he/she obviously needs to have this reviewed rather than stop taking them altogether. An initial dose of 5mg x 4 a day would have been a more realistic starting dose, and then increase gradually if need be ... or to be taken prn as required.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.