Dosulepin being recalled - why?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Can anyone tell me why Dosulepin hasn't only stopped being subscribed, but why it is also being recalled from pharmacists please? I've been on it for almost 30yrs, having reduced it from 150mg 3x daily to just 1x75mg at night. My GP just told me to "stop", surely that can't be good, & I went back as now I can't sleep & he gave me sleeping tabs,which after just 1 made me very nauseous, upset my stomach & gave me the most awful bitter taste all day. Never again to those! Anyone know what's going on please?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sorry it looks like it has possibly red flagged or something similair

Check on the Internet under the drug name or look on NHS Choices under drug name that may help. You may be able to check on here ? Good Luck

B.

• Posted

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll definitely do some more investigation into this. Cheers!

• Posted

Not sure what country you reside in but here in the U.K. you are still able to get Dosulepin from your GP. a red flag dies come up which mentions it can cause bone fractures. I was on this drug for years then when I reached 60 I was taken off it and I struggled for 2 years - I changed my GP and I have just been re prescribed the drug.

There was no mention of it being withdrawn. Only that it can cause bone fractures. Hope this helps.

• Posted

thanks for the reply. I am in the U.K., in the Stockport Area Health Authority catchment. It could be, I suppose that different health authorities have different policies re drug types, I really don't know. Like you, I have looked Dosulepin up under several different criteria & haven't found a single mention of them being withdrawn. Looks like I'm going to have to go back to the G.P., and I hate confrontation or any sort of bad feeling, especially with a G.P., as you never know what they're writing about you in the notes. My aim is definitely to try and come off as much medication as I can, but being disabled with aggressive early onset arthritis from my mid 30's (I'm 60 now), & having had 8 joint replacement operations, so far, I think I'm doing very well. I just hate being treated like a piece of meat on a conveyor belt. Before my career was ended by someone crashing into the back of my car while I was stopped at a pedestrian crossing, which put all the arthritis I didn't even know I had back then, into 'fast forward', I was a Physio, and with some of the doctors we had to work with, we used to have a little joke which goes "What's the difference between God and a Doctor? ......It's that God doesn't think he's a Doctor!".  Thankfully, most aren't like that, but a lot do forget that we are the ones who have to live with the consequences of them mucking about with our medication, without explanation. Anyway, Sorry about that, I've just had a good rant, and if you feel at any time that you need to do the same, I would be pleased to return the favour.

Cheers!

• Posted

  Dosulepin has a small margin of safety between the (maximum) therapeutic dose and potentially fatal doses. also hard to get off of and the other choices are safer and better ones. Manufacturers produce based on money makers. It will eventually be gone as newer safer ones appear on the market. Old fashioned choice by anyone who would give it out knowing its dangers and not a good idea especially as it is being perscribed less and less.It was never in the USA either. Not approved there.
    • Posted

Hi Lisa, thanks for getting back to me. I have been on Dosulepin for 30 years next year. I was originally prescribed it by my then G.P., who put me  on 150mg 3xdaily! Along with 20mg 3x Diazepam daily. I was like a Zombie. I have over the years, taught myself relaxation and breathing exercises, have reduced my Diazepam to just 10mg over the whole day, & just take 1 75mg tab of Dosulepin at night, so I think I've done very well. I'm in constant pain with aggressive arthritis, so have to take pain killers in order to function, & I've had to have 8 joint replacement operations, so far.  I don't smoke or drink. My B.P. Is excellent for my age, I don't have any heart problems or Osteoporosis, and the 1 nightly Dosulepin helps me to sleep longer, with a better quality of sleep, before the arthritic pain wakes me up & I have to take more painkillers o get back to sleep. I tried explaining all this to my G.P. & just came away with a prescription for Zopiclone sleeping tabs., of which I took 1 & was so ill for almost 2 days after, I will never take another. Especially after reading the side effects that 1) It could cause Oesophageal reflux (well I already have reflux oesophagitis which I keep under control with my diet) & 2) It shouldn't be taken with Buspirone (Prescribed by a previous G.P. to help reduce withdrawal while I am reducing my Diazepam ). While my heart is normal and heathy, I do have a genetic malfunction of the electrical stimulus from the brain to the heart which used to cause frequent bouts of Tachycardia up to 150+, so I have been on daily propranolol since the age of 13. My "PQRST" is normal, and my heart rate is kept under control. This has been traced back at least 4 generations, there is no known cause, but all have lived to a ripe old age.

So, all I would like is a better night's sleep. Can you give me any ideas as to if/why my 1 Nightly Dosulepin may have been withdrawn?

Cheers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.