double bunion op

Posted , 3 users are following.

On 23rd Jabuary I had bilateral scarf and akins. All seems to be ok. After a couple of days post op pain I'm off the heavy duty meds. However I didn't realise that I would have to self inject Clexane in my stomach everyday for 2 weeks. I have been doing this but now I'm off the pain killers I have found that it is too painfull. I've phoned the docters and they are going to send out the district nurse. I am a chicken when it comes to needles. Has everyone else managed ok? Or is there some other way to get this medication in?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I too had to give myself these injections. A nurse showed me the first time and I had a big bruise for days afterwards. It was painful.

I researched this and found out you have to pinch a good amount of flab on your tummy, i have plenty,and keep pinching the skin after the injection so the drug will go into the fatty layer under the skin rather than in a muscle which is very painful.

I had a dvt a couple of years ago and a nurse did come out to inject heparin. I don't agree that we have to do this ourselves as it is very painful.

• Posted

Well I phoned the GP to say I had ruined an injection and was basically told off! It appears I'm being a big pest. They have to get a prescription and send a nurse out. At first they said I would have to come to the surgery for the injection! I explained I was off my feet and I got a heavy sigh! Isn't it crazy that this important part of the proceedure is left in my own very ameturist hands! There again it's another example of 'it's only a bunion removal' syndrome.

• Posted

Oh Poor you, i think that is disgusting  you have had to endure this hassle from your GP. I am embarrased to say i work as a HCA in general practice and feel ashamed that you are treated like this. to be honest i had a similar situation when my husband had a spinal fusion he was sent home from hospital only 1 day post op  and i had to inject him, fortunatly this was not a problem for me but someone who is  not used to doing this can be very daunting. if i were you i would  insist that the DNS come out because after all you should not be in this position.  thinking of you . i am not sure if i  will have to have these injections but if i do  i will give it a go but at the end of the day its a very different situation when you have to do it to yourself. Good luck.  jan
    • Posted

I have a friend who is a nurse who came last night and gave me my jab and she is coming again tonight. You know I have heard nothing from my GP. I will struggle through but what happens to all those who live alone or maybe incapable of sorting this sort of thing out? While I don't have a full blown phobia of injections, I do have a fear level of self administering that if I had known before hand it would've put me off having the op!  When I am feeling up toit I will complain to the practise manager. Not for my sake but for the next post op person who needs help should be treated better.

• Posted

I had the same surgery & had to inject my tummy also. It's a piece of cake - you just need to make sure you pinch a good piece of tummy and inject directly into that. Do it confidently if you fiddle around and are nervous it will nip but using this technique it is virtually painless. I know in the beginning it seems strange but you soon get used to it and it is better than ending up with a blood clot. Good luck Bev!! Btw did you have a minimally invasive procedure?
    • Posted

No unfortunately my surgeon said no. As I was all geared up for the op I decided to have the op without MIS as I couldn't find one close to where I live. I'm still a bit miffed about this. However the proof of the pudding will be when I have the dressings off. I was told that I wont have a horrendious scar.

• Posted

Wishing you all the best Bev. Looks like you are doing really well other than the tummy jabs! You'll get the hang of it! 😊
  • Posted

Just an update re injections; since contacting GP's 4 days ago I have not had any contact from them. My friend who is a nurse has come every day to inject but I think I will make a complaint to my doctor. I have a feeling that as it was half day closing at the GP's the receptionist didn't bother to sort out any help. For all they know I am not taking my medication and they really don't care. Any comments?

• Posted

Hi Bev

Yes I would make a complaint to your doctor in writing but also make sure you speak with the practise manager, as these people are usually the best people to speak to first.

I have now stopped my injections thank goodness as I only had to take them for 7 days. I would certainly ask for a nurse or go into the surgery next time if it happens again.

I do feel with doctors surgeries that they are very busy with incredible numbers of people to look after, and sometimes we do get missed, but it shouldn't happen so make that complaint and good luck.

From personal experience always chase up if your hospital appointment if it seems to be taking an age. This has happened in my family twice now. After calling up the department my husband's follow up appointment had been lost/forgotten and my Mother's referral letter went to the wrong department!! You would think there would be a way of checking on patients that are still waiting to be seen, but it appears one can easily get lost in the internet ether!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.