Double bunion opec

Posted , 5 users are following.

my op was on June 12th, at Wrightington Hospital. I had a nerve block in the spine. I was in as day patient and allowed home after lunch, with crutches and shoes, althrough not flattering do the job. The first nights  was a little painful, could not get comfy.  Ever since a little pain but not much.  I have been getting around brilliantly,managed all household jobs. Including cooking meals Ect. I was not given any info as to how much or little I should be doing, and have taken it easy some of the day.  I do not have a plaster cast just thick crepe bandages. Stitches are being removed on Tuesday. Hopefully the resul will be good. I can recommend this surgery to anyone suffering from Bunions and nowhere near as bad   As the horror stories I heard beforehand. I have missed driving,  bur hired a mobility scooter for the day to wiz around the shops. Brilliant may

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Laureen, there are several types of bunion surgeries. Mine, a lapidus bunionectomy requires that I not put weight on the foot for 6 weeks because a bone that the surgeon cut to realign the metatarsal bone has to fuse back together. If I put any weight on it I run the risk of the bone not fusing. That is why some have much longer, more complicated recoveries. The good news with mine (I hope!) is that the bunion cannot come back because the realignment of the bone makes it impossible to come back. I envy your quick recovery. I am on week 4.5, on the couch, with my foot in a huge boot, up on a pillow, ugh!
    • Posted

Hi Vanessa, It sounds like you and I had the same type of surgery. The having to sit around with my foot up for so long and not putting my weight on my foot WAS a real drag. I thought it would never end. But, hey at 7 weeks I was back at the hospital for final visit, X-ray to make sure all was well - then whoopee! Slowly at first I began walking a little at a time and the second week (8 weeks) I was driving, then out doing my big shop at the supermarket - on my own. There was no stopping from then on. There were still days back then, when the foot was swollen with twinges of mild pain but gradually everything settled down. Now at 7 months, all has been EXCELLENT. I'm delighted with the result and can't wait to get the other foot done. Have patience, it's going to be well worth it believe me. I am 70.5 yrs by the way and fit and always 'on the go'. I'm sure you'll have a brilliant recovery too, LadyPink
    • Posted

Thank you Lady Pink for the encouraging words. Yeah, having to be down for so long is a bummer, but hopefully, like you, I will be up and running with no complications! Soon! Just passed the 5 week mark.
  • Posted

Hi Lauren, I'M thinking of bwing referred to wrightington as I am in the north west. 

could you let me know who did your surgery- was it Tim Clough

im keen to have the minimally invasive surgery- key hole so wondering if that's what you had.

how are you feleling  now

Thanks

• Posted

Not sure who did it I have forgot his name.

i do not think keyhole is possible as I have 14 stitches and two srews in each foot and am really pleased with result. 

No problems at all.  The only thing I could not do was drive till bandages came off. 

I did excerises daily to keep movement in feet.

hope this helps.

laureen 

• Posted

Thanks Lauren

Sound like they did a really good job.

i like the idea of a spinal as I hate aneasthetic

been putting this off for years but getting more painful now., especially if I wear any kind of heel which I only do if really need to.

kas

• Posted

Since bandages came off I have rubbed Bio oil on scar daily.

it is fast disappearing. No pain at all now.  Althrough once bandages came off and I did to much walking, I did have some pain in feet where the screws where in place.  Best thing I have ever had done feel really great and relived not too have those horrible feet. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.