Double dose of pred!!

Posted , 13 users are following.

Ooops!  Have just taken a double dose of pred.  I'm on 5mg and took what I thought was my vit D tablet (they are sooo similar).  What do I do now?😏

0 likes, 63 replies

63 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You should have an especially good day, Constance!  Just don't overdo things though just because you feel so good and you should adapt well back at your 5mg dose tomorrow.
    • Posted

Mrs O, I remember your lemon drink recipe.  I've bought the untreated,  bio lemons and the honey, but I can't remember what it was for!!!  Was it acid-reflux?
    • Posted

Constance, I've had a glass of warm water with a few squeezes of fresh lemon as my first drink of the day for many years - a good detox, as well as helping with any acid reflux when taken before a main meal. 

​As far as the honey is concerned,  I have a teaspoonful of Manuka honey with my breakfast daily.  That has many health advantages, including boosting the immune system and helping with digestive problems. 

​Lemon juice with added honey is very sotthing when suffering from colds, adding a few drops of pure glycerine for any chesty problems.

• Posted

Constance, At least you did not forget to take them, that is really bad news, once done you will never do it again! As Eileen says enjoy a really good day with your extra pred. Then carry on as normal.
  • Posted

Hi Constance I take vitamin d pearls they look nothing like pred so can't get mixed up 

regards molly

• Posted

All this Vit D stuff is new to me.I must get my level checked next time I see my doctor.I am tired all the time but have no pain as a rule. Just desparately tired and falling asleep without being able to control it.

I am a war baby too and remember fondly free milk,malt,codliver oil and being measured for free shoes if you had big feet.We were very well looked after.Add to that the dreaded visits of the nurse who checked you in front of the class for head lice etc.Those who were infected were shoved to one side as if they were lepers. They wouldn't dare treat children like that today.But I digress!!

What is the most effective product I can get 'over the counter' here in UK for Vit D? I do spend several months in sunny climes like Panama,Florida and Spain and even picked up a little non malignant skin cancer for my pains.

• Posted

Both H&B and Boots (a very expensive company who I detest but I digress too) do reasonably priced 25mcg/1,000IU vit D tablets. H&B often have a nearly BOGOF offer. Both are good quality and reliable. Don't just buy any old stuff off the internet - the sources are often not that reliable!

It would be a good idea if they DID still have the "nit nurse" AND enforced treatment before the child/ren can return to school. It would have saved my daughter a fortune in treating her children when their classmates parents couldn't have cared a toss and the kids just returned full of lice. 

I've just scratched my head... rolleyes

• Posted

Eileen

I use Boots because it was the only place I could buy OTC and know that the tablets are made either in the UK or other European Countries that have strict drug production controls.

I distrust most meds made overseas since I had a problem years ago with Glucosamine and Chondrinitron, which I had been taking and then discovered the tablets were imported into the USA (made in China) and sold over here and the FDA had then published that those tablets could not be guaranteed to be free of impurities. 

But then you know how I am with medication  'all  medics nightmares come true'. 

• Posted

Thanks Eileen.I will try H and B on Monday. As another poster pointed out,it is a surprise that many surgeries do not check  Vit D level prior to prescribing Pred. However,in my case,my gut feeling is that I do have PMR,if only because I spend perhaps too much time in the sun.

But from what people are saying here,it is a good idea to keep Vit D levels topped up.

Rewinding just a little,the 'nit nurse' was indeed an important feature in ensuring a 'clean' class. The one we had made the infected ones stand in the corner in full view of the others. Then they were told to attend the clinic.Very embarrassing!!

• Posted

Spending time in the sun is no guarantee you are making vit D! I too spend too much time in the sun - I was severely deficient. 

If at age 20 you took the production rate to be 100%, by the age of 70 you are down to a quarter of that. Many people in their 20s are deficient - so they will be even worse by age 70. I assume, too, that like me you have a suntan? Like sunscreen, a suntan has a protective factor - probably equivalent to about Factor 12. Factor 8 sunscreen reduces the amount of vit D made in the skin by over 90%.

It isn't as simple as it looks...

• Posted

And forgot - it is in the guidelines to check vit D as part of the exclusion diagnosis. They don't know the Guidelines so they don't do half of what is recommended. 
  • Posted

Well I need to get my Vit D level sorted out then.Sounds to me that most elderly people are Deficient in Vit D.

Can the surgery determine the level 'in house' by means of a simple test or is it a case of a Blood test at one of the Centres. My surgery is well equipped but I will have to look into it.

• Posted

The blood test has to be sent away to a lab that does it. It only costs about £25 - even if you want it done privately. One lady was told by her GP that it cost about £200 - which is how I know what it really costs! There's an NHS hospital lab in the midlands, Wolverhampton maybe, that does it both for the NHS and privately.
  • Posted

I  see there is a lot of discussion about Vitamin D supplements in this thread.  Did you know that apparently mushrooms produce Vitamin D (if left in the sun for an

bout one hour).  I guess they are kind of like us, and get "tanned"!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.