Double TKR, still having pains 2 years later

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am hoping for some advice, this forum has been very helpful before. I had my left knee replaced in 2017, right knee in 2018. I have been working hard to make life easier for myself, I have lost 3 stone in weight and go to the gym 3 times a week. Unfortunately I am now finding that I wake up at night with left knee pain which I haven't had previously. As soon as i get up and stretch it, it is ok. My right knee hurts when i do certain exercises. Do i bother the doctor again to get re-referred to the surgeon or is this common & i have to put up with it? I'm only 53 so woukd prefer to not be in pain for years to come.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

I am a 57 year old male, had my right knee replaced in April of 2018, and my left knee replace last May. I still have problems with the left knee hurting a little when I get up in the morning. But eventually it goes away. Not too much pain or discomfort in the right knee.

• Edited

If it's a new pain it's worth having it checked if it lasts more than a couple of weeks. I have a pain doing specific moves still at 14 months and it's worsened since having the other knee done 7 weeks ago. The surgeon said if it was still there in 10 months he would scan it, but I have been told that some knees are never pain free. I can live with it if I have to as it's fairly low on the pain scale, but it would be nice not to, or at least to know what's causing it.

• Edited

Hi there. i had both my knees replaced 4 years ago. I still get pain. Especially at night while at rest and in the morning before I get going. But I can walk 5 kms without much effort. Low weight is a key factor for a good result. So is exercise. If the pain is not too bad I would keep going with the weight loss until your weight is a healthy one for you and try swimming or cycling for some alternate exercise. My GP said 20% of knee replacements aren't "great results". At least I can walk. That's a bonus!

• Posted

Endurance before strength. That's the mantra of all rehab PTs and personal trainers for all joint and spine surgeries (yes, I've had them all...). If you're having pain, I would suggest to initially rest, elevate and ice the knees; maybe add an NSAID to handle the inflammation for 10 days MAX!!!

When you feel "recovered enough", restart your gym program but back off the weights you are at for all your exercises. Concentrate on increasing your reps with lighter weights. Once you are up to 3 sets of 20-25 reps WITH NO ISSUES, then start adding the weight back S L O W L Y...

My daughter is a graduate nutritionist and a personal trainer certified by the American College of Sports Medicine (gold standard). This is the routine she developed for me. See if it helps...

Muscle Rebuild

Worked for me and I'm 4 years post-op with no issues. However, if you are still in pain, then see your surgeon for some imaging.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.