Double Vision after cataract surgery

Posted , 20 users are following.

I recently had cataract surgery on both eyes, left eye replaced lens with a toric to correct astigmatism, went well, next month the right eye replaced lens with a standard, then both eyes started to burn, doc advised to lubricate w/non-preservative artificial tears & I stopped steroids drops, then swollen lids developed along with double vision or ghosting and continued burning, blurry eyes. Doc never mentioned the word DIPLOPIA , I found that on the internet. Anyone have experience with this immediately after cataract surgery? If so let me know what is the status of your eyes and what was done to correct condition.

0 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've also had double vision after cataract surgery that I never had before. It is ghosting during reading where a second image of the letter occurs above the original one. I am also experiencing glare when I am reading. I am 4 months post surgery and this condition seems permanent. Can this be corrected? My ophthamologist is telling me that I had this condition before the surgery, but I didn't!

• Posted

As @soks says there are a few possible causes. The incision made to remove the natural lens and insert the IOL can cause some astigmatism in addition to what was there before surgery. Your eyeglass prescription should tell you how much astigmatism there is. It is the cylinder number. A confirmation of this, if you have an up to date pair of glasses, is that the effect should go away when you put glasses on.

If you had a toric lens to correct astigmatism, it may not be fully correcting the cylinder or the angle could be off. Or, if the lens is a multifocal type the double images could be coming from the different focal points of the lens.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.