Double vision... but disappears when I read! Why?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had a Symfony IOL lens implanted 6 weeks ago. At distance I measure 20/20. I used to have slight astigmatism in this eye, but the doctor said it is no longer there after surgery.

Intermediate on the computer is doable as is reading a pocketbook at arm's length - but both are blurry - it's more double-vision with a couple clear, but ghosted images. The phone is not usable even at arm's length. It’s been 6 weeks and I haven’t really had any improvements past day 8 after surgery.

OK, here's the interesting part: If I cover my other eye so that I'm fully relying on this one I can just read a book held at nearly arm's length. If I sit and do this for 15 minutes, all of a sudden the text will sharpen right up for a few seconds! Usually if I avoid blinking and open my eye wide, it will remain clear as I stare in amazement until I blink - then it blurs up with double-vision again. Sometimes I can blink rapidly and attain the same effect of clarity.

But as I say, beyond these "moment's of miraculous clarity", my near vision is blurry as stated initially.

I'm not sure this could be caused by astigmatism because I can achieve these moments of clarity and my distance vision is 20/20?

Some people say that because the Symfony lens works by bending light to extend the range of focus, it takes time for your brain to "neuroadapt" to it... this may explain why I can achieve these "moments" of clarity? Maybe my brain just needs more time?

My doctor has suggested I need a PCO YAG... but I'm not sure that what I'm describing could be caused/fixed with that? Remember, I'm seeing 20/20 at distance.

Has anyone got some insight and thoughts and can comment?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Just to clarify - the double-vison is limited to the ONE eye. The other eye is fine. Also, I pushed a pin through a piece of paper to make a small hole and when I look through that, the image is clear.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.