Double Vision/Monocular and Binocular Diplopia

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi.  I am 28 years old.  When I was around 13 or 14, I noticed I was seeing double quite frequently.  After some visits with my optomologist, it was noted I had binocular diplopia, I think from strabismus, as the muscles in my left eye weren't working well together with the right eye.  Prisms were put in my glasses and I was fine from then on.  Fast forward to when I'm in college, I had to plan when I did homework/read books because the double vision I had when my eyes were tired was terrible.  My left eye would get so tired, I couldn't focus with it.  I've taken to driving with my left eye closed most days.  I decided to try using an eye patch when reading, as hopefully that wouldn't stress the eye as bad.  Well...upon using the eye patch, I discovered I ALSO have monocular diplopia...in both eyes.  This has yet been undiagnosed by an actual eye care physician as I no longer have eye insurance, but I can definitely tell I'm seeing double vision with each eye, singularly.  Then binocular diplopia makes things so much worse. 

Are there any cures/ways to fix these issues?  To be honest, if there's way to fix the binocular diplopia/strabismus, then it would help so much.  I'm so used to seeing double the monocular way that it's what I consider normal vision.  But once the left eye is tired (and I work a desk job, dealing with medical reports and documents all day,) I always have to drive home with one eye closed, which never feels very safe.    

Any and all comments/questions appreciated smile

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.