Doubting it's allergies now?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

So for the past year and a bit, I have been dealing with chronic sinusitis.

I am constantly congested, clearing my throat. Over producing mucus (sorry) and constantly coughing up thick phlegm. I have daily sinus headaches, pressure around my jaw and cheek (actually feels like I have been punched), neck pain and a rash on my cheek. My neck glands are swollen too with red lumps each side. Pressure behind my eyes too.

It feels like flu but it's lasted a year and it's driving me insane! I am constantly fatigued to no ends and it’s causing me depression as every day is the same struggle! Work is becoming a burden as I just want to sleep!

So far I have used 4 different nasal sprays (flexonase and dymista being the most recent) - No change.

Fexofenadine and pretty much every OTC antihistamine - No change

Neti pot daily – Helps the headaches and congestion temporarily

Antibiotics x 6 week course - no change

Prednisolone - Worked amazing but came back after the 5 day course finished

I have seen the ENT multiple times who says it's allergies to pollen but it's been all year round, even when the pollen out is low / non-existent in winter. I feel like this is just a thob off as he genuinely looked half asleep and half arsed.

I have had a CT scan and my sinuses are inflamed and I have a deviated septum, so he has mentioned about surgery to increase airflow. (I also have another infection and got more antibiotics).

The thing is though, if literally no antihistamine is working or nasal spray at what point can I say to the ENT this is obviously not allergy driven?

Has anyone got any advice as to what else I could ask for at my next appointment?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I can related 100% to your problem. I used to live in a hhot humid tropical climate once. When I moved there it was fine, but after a few years I developped horrible allergies, started with sneezing, itchy nose/ eyes, but after by nose just got blocked, and stayed that way. Like you said no antihistamine or sprays did help. I'm not sure about Prednisolone, so I won't comment on that one.

It was horrible, I was literally gasping for air 24/7 as I could only breath through the mose. Seen countless of ENTs, they were inconsostent, one said I had deviated septum, the other said my septums are dead straights as per CT! Anyway, that ENT said to do a middle turbinectomy, do I went along with it, spent a small fortune on it but didn;t help, not one bit! ENT also said that I am have dust mite allergy as per skin prick test, and dust mites thrives in hot humid climate. So his advice was to use nasal sprays for the rest of my life - despite it didn;t even help!? and to move away from that area. 

So after suffering for about 2 years I started to explore that idea, and travelled to different places, at first justr stayed for a short time, I immediately noticed some changes. Went back home and as sson as I steped out from the airport terminal, my nosed started to get congested. Next time I went away for 2 month, and during that time my allergy was pretty much gone. Not fully but almost.

So with my husband, who also hated that hot humidity anywaty, we decided to move. We are now about 3000 miles away south and 100 km from the coast. 

I can say that my symptoms improved about 90%. During the day I hardly have any problems, at night one side of my nose still get congested, - always the lower side. But I'm used to it now. Occasionally I still have bad congestion, I assume this is due to a low pressure system comes in and could be the dust blowing through the agricultural fields as well. But once in a while a decongestant drop is ok, so won't cause reboud effect.

I heard from others that changing your diet can help too. Did you try to eliminate dairy? 

My advice, do not go down the road with a surgery which might be unnecessary and could make your symptoms even worse! Explore all the options before!

Keep in mind that shrinking your turbinates can cause empty nose syndrom! Uncurable and unreversable! Surgery for deviated septum might or might not help and can also makes things worse. So if I were you I'd try to figure out first if the allergy is something to do with your local environment and go from there.

• Posted

Hi

As a first step I suggest to buy a tap charcoal filter and use it when you have a shower or bath. It is very easy to fit with no tools.

It is cheap on ebay around £10.

For me is great. I feel much better. Maybe it is a good idea to speak with your GP and to try for a few months a steroid inhaler. No side effects compare with Predisolone. For me, removing chlorine and other metals from shower water was a huge step in my healing/improving process

If you are allergic or not your airways are sensitive. Chlorine steam is the worst thing for sensitive airways. Just try and you will see the difference.

All the best

• Posted

i read an article on this not too long ago, aparently works wonders for some people!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.