Down but not out

Posted , 10 users are following.

I would describe the pain from the rash as feeling like you have been sprayed with acid.Exhaustion is the other main symptom for me, despite being 71 I am very fit but this recent shingles episode has me completely floored. I was too late starting the antibiotics and have had to rely on painkillers. I'm 2 weeks into it and hoping I will be more or less recoverd in another 2. What surprises me is the number of threads where people have had shingles on a recurring basis as I thought it was almost always a single episode.

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Roger,

I too have Shingles that I got in mid April this year.  I'm also 70 and in good shape.  I saw a doctor about a week later and started Valtrex for a week.  I then was told by my doctor that the meds had killed the virus.  I have been taken Cabapentin since then.  Started with one a day and have increased to 3 per day to help with the nerve pain.  It helps and I am now taking 2 L-Lysine 500mg tablet twice daily.  It also seems to help me.  Make sure you see a doctor and don't strictly rely on this website.  It's beneficial on how people are dealing with this problem and you can also see how different it is from person to person.  Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you, and also a big thanks to all the kind people who have shared their experiences with this nasty affliction.As you rightly say, everyone is affected differently so there is no common cure and no common prognosis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.