Down for the last few weeks after my last attack

Posted , 7 users are following.

Pretty much hate my life after last attack. Can't get no real clear answers about diet change,think about more plant based for more fiber but read avoid beans and veggies that cause gas. Then read fiber menace that says fiber is bad for you. Scared to eat anything,wanted to avoid surgey but think im going to have it. At he poont or wrecking my marriage.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

As far as food goes we are all different from each other,also what's good one week may well be not the next. The only advice I can offer is no coffee no booze and eat smaller amounts at a sitting. Control pain wit buscapan and pain killer of your choice. Remember codene and like of causes constipation.

• Posted

I have been diagnosed with diverticulitis also. Every diet book says one thing which opposes the next book. Fiber no fiber?? I'm lost too. I need answers and a straight a forward list of the dos and don'ts of what to eat .

• Posted

Think twice.  You can adjust unless the attacks are one after another.

Go for two opinions before surgery.

I use the crockpot a lot.

I do avoid raw veggies but on occasion eat a few.  Avoid skins and nuts.

Keep open your bowels.  I take Miralax almost every day. It works.

Use a heating pad on abdomen if you have discomfort.  Liquid diet for a day and then soft foods.

I thought the way you did and then after talking to surgeon twice I got it in my head I have to watch and not make this disease ruin me.

Surgeon said he’d do surgery if I wanted but it could develop in another area.

This is just my opinion but think twice.

Good luck. God Bless!

• Posted

Also Edward fiber can irritate your intestines so I use moderation.

Another thing to do is if you have been on an antibiotic take a good probiotic.  I took Florestor.  Ask your pharmacist. 🙏🤗

• Posted

I think what you gave to look at is the type of fibre you eat, my doctor said to me that if you can get it through a sieve then it’s fine (soluble fibre) , if not, don’t eat (insoluble) So, for instance, stewed apple is ok, but raw apple skin is a no no! Obviously, you will learn which foods suit and which don’t. Also,during a flare up you need to allow the bowel to heal, so liquid foods then introduce softer then more solid foods. Keep positive! X
  • Posted

Hi Edward.

I avoid the foods that cause gas, which include lactose as well.  Beans, broccoli, cauliflower, any dairy.  I avoid nuts and seeds, but do eat the butter.  On the list of foods to avoid for me is anything fried, peelings on fruit and potatoes.  I also don't eat gluten, which is wheat, barley, rye and the controversial oats.  I have found the the gums such as carrageenan and gellan gum, which is in the non dairy beverages,aggravate my system. 

I eat poached eggs, bananas if they're ripe and not starch, unsweetened applesauce with a sprinkle of cinnamon, gluten free bread with no seeds or nuts, rice products, well cooked chicken and fish, potatoes (no skins), sweet potato, carrots, green and yellow beans, spinach, canned peaches in water, cantaloupe, a bit of watermelon, honeydew melon, gluten free macaroni with a simple seedless tomato sauce.  That's some of what I find doesn't bother me, but I chew well and I eat in small amounts throughout the day.  

My case is severe, so I am trying to do what I can to stay away from surgery.

I hope this helps you a bit.  There are more posts on here with respect to diet, which I'm sure you'll find

helpful.  

Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.