Downhill after Hydrocele Surgery

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi everyone, my post is about my 17 year old son and I am wondering if anyone has dealt with anything similar.

In September 2020 my son was hospitalized for a sports hernia and it was discovered then that he had a medium size hydrocele on the left testicle. According to him he had never noticed it and it never gave him any issues. We were told that we should just watch it and if it gets larger to visit the Urologist.

My son is a cross country runner and during a sports physical in September 2021 it was determined that it was bigger and therefore we would seek a visit to the Urologist as soon as his season was over. It still never gave him any issues or caused any pain.

In January of this year we saw the Urologist and the Dr decided that it needed to be removed since it was rather large. This is where it all went downhill. The hydrocele was removed on January 11. The Dr said surgery went very well but it was mentioned that there was a lot of inflammation in the testicle which was not expected and he was not sure what from. My son had normal surgery pain but even after a week or so was staying in a lot of pain on the bottom side of the testicle. It hurt to walk, sit, touch it, etc. He was given Oxycodone to help with pain and it did not even touch it. After much conversation and several appts the Dr went back in on Feb 10 to see if something else was going on or if it’ll something was missed. Nothing was found except for a small hematoma which was cleaned up. A drain was also put in for a week and antibiotics were started. There was surgery pain which then went to the entire left side of the testicle where the incisions had been made hurting like crazy.

This is where we are today. The entire left side of the testicle is extremely sensitive to any touch and just excruciatingly hurts in general. It hurts him to walk, sit or stand. The only somewhat relief is when laying down. It is still extremely swollen. We have been on so many meds and he is still on some - Doxycycline, Gabapentin, Flomax and Ibuprofen. We have done three nerve blocks - the one directly in the testicle provided no relief, while two given in the hip area provided mild relief for 5-6 days. He has had several ultrasounds done as well as a CT just last week. His Doctor has consulted with many other Urologists and Surgeons and we have tried everything that has been thought of. They all just say we might just have to give it time. We are being referred to pain management later this month to see if they can provide him with some better relief. We went for a second opinion yesterday and this Urologist agrees with everything that has already been done and said time and/or removal of the testicle are the only two options really. My son says to sign him up for the surgery to remove it but that is not even guaranteed to take away his pain.

As I said, my son is 17 yrs old and has had his life drastically changed since Janauary. He is very active and involved and cannot go to school, run Track or really even go anywhere so we are at our breaking point.

Does anyone have any kind of similar story?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I don't know of a case like your son's and it sounds complicated. Still, to help with pain, I can suggest:

1. Curcumin: It is anti-inflammatory and blood thinner. As long as your son doesn't have bleeding disorder, start with 500mg per day and increase up to 2g as he tolerates it. Make sure that he consumes it with regular milk as the fat in milk will help absorb the curcumin. It may provide some relief while you look for permanent solution.
    2. Arnica topical cream: You say that it is tender to touch, so I don't know if this will work. But, read about Arnica. It may provide temporary relief.
    3. I haven't tried it personally but heard good things about acupuncture.

I am not a healthcare worker. Just common person trying to help another person. You will be responsible for outcomes of these suggestions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.