Doxycycline

Posted , 6 users are following.

Just wondering if anyone was on Doxycycline before they developed a PE? I had no other risk factors when I came down with a PE except being on this high-powered antibiotic.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Since my PEs, I have had a few chest infections and doxycycline is the drug that works best clearing them up. It is quite an old antibiotic, so well proven with limited side effects. Given that I have had it prescibed post PEs, I would be very surprised if it had any bearing on your PEs
  • Posted

I was really sick, and caught pneumonia before I had my PE. Was on an antibiotic but not sure which one. Are they known to cause PEs?
    • Posted

I don't know. I can't think of anything I did, no family with blood clots, and I don't meet any of the markers that professionals say causes blood clots. The only difference is I was on the antibiotic for a month to take care of Lyme Disease.

• Posted

I was the same way, no genetic reason, no other reason. I went from bronchitis, to pneumonia, to blood clots. I feel like it was bad luck, and something happened to give them to me.
    • Posted

I sure makes you wonder. I think we always want to find a cause no matter what that might be. It gives us something to hang onto.
    • Posted

Maybe it is a combination of Lyme Disease and the antibiotics. I got my PEs from the contraceptive pill which I was taking for my polycystic ovarian syndrome (which is caused by a hormone imbalance) and I have wondered would someone taking that pill who had normal hormone levels have the same risk?Sometimes it can be a combination.
    • Posted

Yes, I thought of that too. It is amazing how all of our systems work so differently!
    • Posted

I hope you don’t mind me asking, but I only found out about Lyme disease recently and someone I know who has had ME for ages thinks that maybe they have it. Can you tell me a bit about it please? I know it has something to do with the immune system but not much more. How did you first find out you had it? How was it diagnosed?
    • Posted

I woke up with flu-like symptoms during the middle of May. I took a shower and noticed  something on the back off my neck. My husband took a picture of it so I could see it. It was a large red circle with a "bullseye" in the middle. The doctor agreed that it was a bite from a tick and put me on the antibiotic. It will go into your joints and do considerable damage if not treated early.

I haven't had any more problems. . .just the PE. There is a blood test that is available to see if Lyme disease is present. HUGS and BLESSINGS to your friend.

• Posted

It is the inflammation from respiratory infections or skin infections like erysipelas(8 time more risc) that causes damage to the endothelium of the veins;behind it is the von willibrand factor that begins the coagulate cascade and forms clots.Their can be other risc factors in elderly also:dehydration(thickens blood),immobilisation,age(every decade above 50 doubles the risc:when elderly has those factors together:eysipelas,dehydration,bedridden and old age 90years even when you have prevention from 2 times 2.5 mg eliquis(apixaban)like my mother for a-fib,you have a very high risc for dvt and pe.That is what happened to my mother of 93 years:she got short of breath,I called ambulance but they let her walk (clot came of) and fall,in the hospital the doc said first :little fluid on the lungs but I said that can't be because she takes diuretics and is dehydrated,then he said it is hyperventilation without even look at my mother (5 meters away) or investigate her,no anamnese, no differential diagnose, no auscultation of the lungs.She got just fluid iv and something for constipation.On her room(1 hour later)when she came up on the bed she got a saddle embolism(I think the clot who came loose was swimming around in the wright heartventrikel), nurse took o2 saturation on the finger going to 60 ,and after 2 minutes,mother got wright strain on the heartventrikel that failed and she was in pain and died,staring into my eyes,while I held her head up from the pain.Nurse called doc and he would not ressuscitate my mother because old people have little chance ,although I did not signed a dnr and other doc in er 1 hour before said that when we didn't sign my mother would get

ressuscitation to the ultimate.She should have had a ct scan,duplex ,ecg and higher dose of eliquis or heparin or clotbuster.And I read in a study that by :ressuscitation when in the first 10 minutes thrombolytic is given the outcome for recovery is very high for every age,almost 95 procent.So I lost my mother without saying goodby and by doc not interested in older people,incompetence and misdiagnosis.When I should have known what a pe was(I thougt always that a clot went to the brain),a clot in the lungs, I would have immediately made the connection of shortness of breath and pe,but my family doc should have made the connection ,because he knew the situation of my mother.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.