Doxycycline and Malaria

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey everyone smile

I have been given Doxycycline as anit-malarials. I was alittle surprised when I got the info book out to read this drug is also used to treat other things, I was under the impression that anti-malarials were drugs in themselfs. Obviously not!

Seems abit silly to me on the front it says \"avoid exposing skin to direct sunlight\" well that is slighty hard because I am going to south africa which is why I am taking these!

Just wondering if anyone has taken these for anti-malarials and what your experiences are?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I was prescribed these for a holiday in Tanzania. I have travelled all over the world and lived for 3 years in Singapore and in the early years never even used sun block and was never sunburned. The first game drive in Tanzania I went back looking like a beetroot and that was in a closed vehicle with only the look-out. I would advise you not to take these. Could spoil your complete holiday.

Jean

• Posted

Thanks for the reply.

Too late now really because I have already paid for them and they were the ones that my docter has recommened me for the area I am going. I have to pick up another pack on Monday so I will ask then about the sun.

I was planning to buy 50+ sun cream anyway so hopefully this will give some protection.

• Posted

I was using 35+ at the time, which didn't help me but please let me know how you get along with your 50+. I am off on a tiger safari in October but think I will still stick to Malarone although very expensive.

Jean

• Posted

Oh that sounds great, I am doing a wildlife conservation course in Kruger National Park.

I will let you know how I get on with the 50+.

When I asked in the pharmacy about anti-malarals they said Malarone is £100 for me to cover my stay. However, my docter said this can be bought over the counter and the one I needed was only given my prescription.

I then got a private prescription for the Doxycycline which was £16. Very cheap, I was expecting to pay about £30-40.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.