Doxycycline any one on it

Posted , 9 users are following.

is or has anyone taken doxycycline did it work I have copd with chest infection been given doxycycline so far does not seemed to have done anything for me

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi yes I have this as an emergency one. Sometimes you may need a second different type if it doesn't work. Usually after a day it starts working. I'm chesty now but told just steroids, but if worse start dox. Not too bad in winter but in the summer stay in the shade lol. Vampire tablets I call them.

• Posted

thanks am now on day 3 does not seemed to have made any difference in usually take oxytetracycline and they work but was told doxycycline is the same but does not upset the tummy as much and is only 1 tablet a day instead of 4

• Posted

Hi Dilys I never have aproblem with anti biotics and find them usually fast acting but GP does alternate between doxy and amoxycylin

• Posted

amoxicillin does nothing at all for me might as well have smarties lol I was hoping doxycycline would work but it's seems not to be so it looks like I'll have to go back on oxytetracycline seems like the only one that works thank for the reply

• Posted

Give it a few more days. For me it is slower than some other ABs. Can't use the better stuff all the time or i may develop a reaction. Tho i didn't think it would, doxy just took care of a big problem i had after spending 2 hours in a friend's new-built house.

• Posted

thanks have 2 days left but they don't seem to have done anything at all will try get an appointment on Monday at doc

• Posted

Not on it at present but it is my emergency AB now, my prescription is for 2 weeks as I have both emphysema and bronchiectasis. One week of amoxicillain is not enough for me when I have a chest infection.

You should notice some stabilising or improvement by the 3rd day.

Feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi I take doxycicline with copd and it works well for me. There is the odd occasion when I need more than 1 course. I have always been told that they should start working within 48 hours so if they don't kick in after 4/5 days go back to your doctors.

I have to take these as I am allergic to penicillan but they are definitely the best ones for me. I hope you feel better soon. x

• Posted

Dilys, I forgot something that may have helped the doxy this time around: i made sure to avoid milk/calcium for 3 hrs or more before & after each dose. Since i was on a twice daily dose & milk, etc., is a huge part of my diet, this was hard but the doxy worked better than ever before.

N.B.: to one and all who will see this and want to lecture me about milk, don't bother. When it comes to my body, you are 100% wrong, lol.

• Posted

Had it prescribed for me several times over the years but found it effected my stomach giving me stomach ache havnt had it for a cple of years now no other antibiotic has had that effect on me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.