Doxycycline for recurrent Cystitis

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have had recurrent Cystitis since I was in my early teens (I'm now 29) - I'll have frequent 'twinges' - or feeling desperate for a pee ten minutes after peeing - for a few days every couple of weeks. Then 2/3 times a year I'll get the big, debilitating attacks, sudden onset and tied to the toilet for at least 4-6 hours peeing extremely painful blood clots, followed by another 24 hours or so of peeing every hour of the day. And yes, these usually follow sex, exacerbated by periods of stress and not drinking enough water.

However, when I first went travelling I was prescribed Doxycycline (100mg a day) as an anti-malarial measure - it's actually a broad spectrum anti-biotic, and on reading the leaflet I noticed Doxycycline is used to treat many conditions...including UTIs. During all 'Doxy' trips I've been on (including with my husband, so I was having sex...) I've had little problems with my Cystitis, and certainly no big attacks.

I now keep in a stock on stand-by, to take immediately a 'twinge' turns more sinister - on advice of the Doxycycline leaflet, 200mg on the first day and 100mg per day after, and I usually give myself a three day course.

Of course I do wonder if the symptoms would ease by themselves in the same time without it, but when you are trapped sat on the toilet, crying in pain and frustration, while your legs are going numb and you just want to lie down and go to sleep - well, I'd rather not wait any longer than necessary before taking anything...

Good luck ladies x

1 like, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.