Dr did not remove all polyps

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've had three colonscopys, all with large polyps removed. I had my third on Friday and the Doctor said he removed 9 polyps, and I will need to come back in 6 to 12 months. He said there were more, I didn't remove them all, but I'll get it all cleaned out next time. 

The polyps he removed were between 8 and 16mm and one 22mm. 

Why would he not remove all the polyps? Aren't they going to continue to grow with the possibility of them becoming cancerous?

Has anyone ever experienced this?

Thank you in advance, for your help.

Paula

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I guess he is the only one who knows why he didn’t remove them all. Did you ask him why not? Presumably he removed the ones that were the most likely to cause trouble from their look and size. Sometimes they can be awkwardly situated and oddly if the grow a bit they can be easier to remove particularly if they are on stalks. Perhaps he just wanted to make sure he didn’t miss anything and wanted to have a look after the others had been cut away. I would think 6 -9 months would be unlikely to make a big difference in their potential to cause trouble later on. 
    • Posted

No, I didn't ask him. I will on Monday.

Thank you for your response. 

Paula

• Posted

I just as my yearly scope. (I’m a colon cancer  survivor). I had a polyp removed that made the doctor believe that my cancer believe recurred. The byopsy revealed that thankfully it wasnt Cancer. But since there’s more polyps that he couldn’t get to, I’m to go back in Feb to have the others removed and burned  off.  My polyps run deep that I have bleeding off and one even after a week. So this isn’t unusual.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.