Dr. is suggesting new medication , Evista. I have questions, please help

Posted , 2 users are following.

My Oncologist recently suggested Evista (raloxifene) to treat my osteopenia with the added benefit to prevent breast cancer recurrence. I am 6 years out from my mastectomy and 1 year off of Tamoxifen. I am wondering if there are any truly negative risks of Evista, since I try to limit any medications in my routine.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I would trust your doctor to know what is best for post-cancer treatment. However it should not be used as an excuse to put you on a bone medication. Osteopenia is only bone thinning, it is not osteoporosis, and osteopenia can be reversed through exercise, appropriate supplements and diet. This is proven through patients' experience, although some doctors still seem to think bone thinning once it occurs cannot be reversed. Even people with definite osteoporosis have been able to improve matters without medication. If you google healthunlocked (all one word) my osteoporosis journey, you should find my story.

If it is felt medically advisable to use the raloxifene for your post-cancer care, then that is another story. Whatever you decide, please also do all the natural things you can to improve your bone density - the only side effect will be improved general health!

Good luck, whatever you do. 🍀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.