Dr prescribed mirtazapine but scared to take them

Posted , 6 users are following.

So I've tried fluoxtine, citalopram and setraline all gave me bad side effects so scared me into carrying on taking them. My anixety isn't getting any better so doc has given me some mirtazapine and told me i have to take them in order to beat my anixety but I'm just to anxious to even go to get the prescription. I'm waiting 14 weeks for one to one cbt

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi desiree

please don't panic about taking mirtazipine. I had dreadful side effects on citalopram and like you I didn't want to experience all those dreadful side effects eg no appetite, chronic nausea, tremors, sweats, dizziness, heightened anxiety etc. And with mirtazipine I had zero side effects. First day i was rather sleepy but that was it! This drug yanked me from despair to a real sense of hope in record time.

I hope you will find health on this med.

Look forward to hearing your progress ♥♥

• Posted

Hi lorraine.

I'm still thinking hard about taking them one side of me wants to the other side of me is like nooo.. I'm terrified been thinking about it all day. Did they knock you out as I have a 14 month baby to get up to the night and a 3 and 6 yr old too

• Posted

Hi desiree

they didn't knock me out and although I felt sleepy the first day after taking it, I was still able to do things which I hadn't managed to do in the previous six months. It gave me instant relief and my energy started to return. You will honestly be fine! What dose have you got 15mg?

Xx

• Posted

Mirtazapine is an excellent anti depressant which works much more quickly than most other ADs. However, they do knock you for six for the first day or two. The first day after your first dose is the worst, then each day is markedly better. Within a week or two you feel normal. I could not take most other ADs because of the side effects, but mirt gave me none except for the initial sedation and some weight gain. I am now off it after four years and feel great.
    • Posted

I need some weight gain I'm 26 and 7st 3lb I've lost so much because of my anixety and don't eat very well
    • Posted

Sounds like it would be a good drug for you then. I suffer from severe morning nausea, some days are worse than others and the mirt completely removed that. I started to enjoy food for the first time in many years. Unfortunately, since stopping, I have reverted back to having severe nausea some days and a lack of appetite every day. But I'm going to have to put up with it now and accept it's just the way I am. For me, it isn't to do with depression or anxiety; it is a physical thing which somehow the mirt mended.
  • Posted

Hi Desiree

I am like you and anything they gave me I had a severe reaction to.  The last one was the Remeron and UI really had no side effects except as everyone is saying you feel tired but you can function.  Good luck and keep us posted.

• Posted

Hi Desiree,no one can really know how you will react to Mirtizapine as we are all so different.I took it for three months and it didn't suit me,like you I have tried many other ad s.My doctor said I'm just to sensitive to them all.i still have anxiety and take half of a 2 mg of diazapam to help,it's the only thing I don't react to.Cbt,mindfulness meditation ,vitamins!and backs rescue remedy and searching for coping tips arethe things that are helping me,it's a long road and it won't cure your anxiety instantly.With anxiety it's learning to live along with it,acceptance is the key.,I don't say this lightly as I still suffer greatly with anxiety, but I'm learning about it and it's becoming less scary,I know this dosnt answer your question I just wanted to share with you what I ve learnt along the way.Is there another doctor you can see?if you don't think your doctor is helping don't be afraid to see another one. X
    • Posted

Hi, I've seen a few docs and went back the 1st one I seen she was so blunt with me and told me if i won't take the tablets for myself then do it for my kids. I tried to explain how I feel about medication but she didnt listen. I haven't took the meds yet and I'm waiting 14 weeks for one on one cbt I've already done group one. I'm going to try a natural way I've had a good few days and trying to cope day to day. I've stopped googling things which has made it easier smile just keep going forward now x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.