Dr.s refusing to treat even legitimate pain because of opioid crisis. Help?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've had back pain for years and for the last 2 it has come to the point where I can't function normally day to day. I have done the tests and scans, physical therapy, and the tests do show I have injuries in my lower back. However, the 3 doctors I have seen, including pain management, don't think that the degree of injury shown warrants the pain I "say" I'm in and refuse to prescribe me any pain medication and tell me I am welcome to go somewhere else. I'm a nurse and I understand the need to be cautious with addictive drugs like opiates. But unfortunately until someone figures out what is wrong and how to fix it I have to be able to function without this kind of pain. Yes I can try another doctor but each time you go somewhere else, it takes 3 weeks to get in. I need help. I need a doctor who doesn't lump everyone who legitimately needs pain medication in with drug seekers and who cares enough not to give up. I'm so frustrated and hopeless from this process and this treatment. Can anyone help?

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

I live in NY and they make it a b*tch to get pain meds!! period!! I have been suffering for around 10 years, they put me on Oxycotton 10mg 4 X day for about a year and it worked! Then they weened me off off it in a matter of a couple months! Just because that branch of hospital is against pain meds!!

They put me on it for my back, but it help ALL my issues! my Neuropathy, my shoulders, my knees, my feet and my headaches! But people abusing it is making it hard for people like us! So,

Keep fighting....

• Posted

Hi, so sorry to read about the struggles you have.

i had a back operation a few years ago that was urgent. But for years i complained to doctors about my back and they never sent me for xrays etc.

It came to a point that i passed out with pain one day, was rushed to hospital and the xrays and mri scans showed my vertabre out of place and with nerve damage.

Even now after the operation I still suffer from back pain and leg pain but its better then it used to be.

I feel like my family friends and work friends do not understand the pain I am in everyday.

Scott from Newcastle UK

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.