Dr said its IBS but its 3 years now.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Im male,33.

3 years ago I had anxiety issues again and I would wake up early, feeling my jaw clinched (which is stress) and after a couple of months I was on a party. I ate and had half a beer, went home and I was heavily nauseated because of an intense indigestion.

1 month later I was on anti inflammation drugs and Muscle relaxants for my back(15 days).And I had a couple minor indigestion occasions where chocolate was the irritant.

Had another indigestion after I ate an apple after breakfast where I decided to see a doctor.

The doctor had me on ultra sound for liver kidneys stomach bowels .Blood tests ,hernia checks nd endoscopy. All clean.Everything seemed normal so she went with IBS and anxiety.

Gave me librax for 10 days but the symptoms of bloating ,indigestion,shivers ,increased heart rate , did not go away.

After I stopped Librax I had insomnia where I would wake up in the morning at 4:30 and I had increased heart rate and muscle spasms.Constipation lasted for 3-4 days.

I went to a therapist and I fixed a lot of issues I had and I have to say I rarely get mild anxietynow but insomnia persists when I eat foods from a long list. Basically I can eat chicken,grapes ,past with low fat cheese, low fat fish.

Most foods take 5 hours to digest and even when the bloating goes away, I wake up in the middle of the night with increased heart rate and Im unable to fall asleep again. Im constipated the other day.

I have a light case hemorrhoids that rarely bothers me, if at all.

Lately I ve doing great but sometimes if I try to eat a bit more or something of my list I get symptoms again. I know its going to take more time but its been 3 years already... Wish me luck good people.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hi alex, does your doctor find this funny? i don't. there is possibly something else a miss, fight for your health, have you been offered a hpylori test? there will be an underlying reason. you say you have had an endoscopy what about a colonoscopy? have you been offered a coeliac screening test, a chrones test, ulcerative colitis etc? doctor's find it easier to say 'oh it's IBS'. it's like saying it's a virus, oh it's a cold! ridiculous, try a different doctor.

• Posted

Hpylori was negative, did it twice

no colonoscopy, dont have blood in stool or pain. Thats the main reason I dont worry much, because I never got any pain.

coeliac screening test is a good idea, no she didnt thought of that.

I actually tried another doctor, she too said it was IBS and gave me some medication for better bowel movement. Didnt help that much.

• Posted

It is possible you have IBS if all your tests are negative. Doctors don"t diagnose IBS lightly which affects everyone differently. There is no cure for IBS; it is lifelong and can come and go.

• Posted

Unfortunately IBS is not something that ever really goes away - symptoms can be controlled and it can come and go however (I myself have been struggling with it for 10 years now). I would suggest going back to the doctor and asking for advice on how to deal with these symptoms - food as well as anxiety are both huge triggers for anxiety so usually controlling these can help.

• Posted

Hi Alex,

I understand your concern. I was diagnosed with IBD (Inflammatory Bowel Disease) in 1984 when I was in my twenties, and prescribed sulfasalazine . (bear with me!) Decades later and not having many flare-ups, I was gobsmacked when a dietician I was seeing to help me through a FODMAP exclusion diet told me that she believes I am suffering from IBS as well as IBD - and that most of my symptoms are to do with IBS, not the IBD, because every time I've had a blood test or poo test when suffering symptoms, it has come up negative for a flare-up.

I don't know if you have been offered a FODMAP exclusion diet, but if not I would recommend that you ask your GP/Consultant to refer you to your local gastro department (are you in the UK?) or equivalent. It takes a month or two to work through, but I have to say that it was a revelation to me - whilst on the exclusion diet, my stomach really calmed down. It seems most of the bloating, wind etc. was caused by foods high in certain sugars which would basically ferment in the gut, causing bloating, wind, and then 'the trots' . By avoiding certain 'trigger' foods, I rarely have bad bloating, wind or runny stools anymore.

I am two weeks into trying a Low Carb/High Fat 'Keto' way of eating, and because some of the ingredients used in this w.o.e. are 'bad' for my gut, I am having to make adjustments. I have been told that many people with IBS on the Keto w.o.e. have reported a complete lack of IBS symptoms after only being on it for a while - everyone is different, of course (we all have slightly different triggers, though some are common) and it may not work for everyone who has IBS/IBD. But I am going to give it a good go, because i need to lose weight!

I'd be VERY surprised if trying a FODMAP exclusion diet didn't help you. Basically it means cutting out a whole range of food groups altogether, then gradually re-introducing them over a period of time, noting which ones give you the bloating, the runs, etc. You can then safely cross those foods off your shopping list! There are even a number of apps for mobile phones which help you identify and track foods that are good and bad for you, personally. (Same with the Keto diet).

I hope something in what I've said may just be useful for you. Please let us know how you get on, won't you? All the best, Elaine

• Posted

Elaine, I d like to thank you for your time and your concern. I live in Greece and Im currently on the fodmap diet. My diet was already restricted because I was getting indigestion from beef ,fish, cheese and most of the vegetables.

So I didnt find the fodmap all that restrictive.

Anyway, I reduced the consumption of whole grain products and I felt vastly different from day.

Im currently doing a lot better. Again, thank you for your advices and concern, cheers!

• Posted

Hi Alex - I'm so very glad to hear that you are feeling a lot better and that avoiding whole grain products is working well for you- may you continue to be well! All the best! 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.