Dr said that I have a systolic heart murmur and I've been worrying since my chest seems to get stif

Posted , 3 users are following.

I went for a check up and my Dr told me that I have a systolic heart murmur and ever since I've been worried, my chest feeling stiffer can someone please tell me about what is a heart murmur

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Why did you not ask your doctor who knows all the facts rather than worry about it. Most murmurs are not a problem and many of use have them. I was told had one when I had my army medical when I was 18. I'm now 83. 

• Posted

Thanks Derek, I was told about this when I went to do a royal navy medical
    • Posted

Did they accept you? The Army turned me down............for my eyesight!

It was strange when he was doing the examination he was listening to my heart and looked up suddenly and asked if I had rheumatic fever a child. I said No and he grunted and started listening more intently again   

• Posted

No they didn't accept me,. They told me to do a heart scan

• Posted

Just remained short sighted with glasses until afew years ago when I needed cataract surgery and now have perfect sight.
    • Posted

Now like me you will need to pay to see the world. Have you had the scan yet?
    • Posted

They haven't rejected me, my application is on temporary unfit and no I haven't done the scan as yet

• Posted

Hi I have a heart murmur due to my mitral valve regurgitation. I had a car accident and through surgery developed a blood infection. They did a heart scan and discovered I had infected endocarditis. I believe it is quite rare about 20 people in a million get it. They can hear the swooshing sound before the heart beat which tells them your valve is not closing properly and the blood is going back into the chamber where the blood has just come from (regurgitation) however lots of people have a heart murmur and mine was caused by the infection I got through surgery. I have had no effects until 5 weeks ago where I became very tired and feeling heavy down my left arm. I have a yearly heart scan and they picked something up which was different. I’m now going to have to have an exercise test to see how it is going and may need surgery to repair the faulty valve. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.