Dr says arthroscope needed what to expect?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Well, I did the PT and had the steroid injection. No relief from either. The surgeon now says I'll need a scope or have to live with the pain. I could live with it as of now, but I know it's only getting progressively worse and at a faster pace. So, surgery is scheduled for next month. My question is what can I expect? He said I'd be on crutches for 2 days only and he wants me up and walking immediately to prevent blood clots. Other than that and to expect bruising, nothing much was said. How long is the surgery? How long in the surgery center (how many hours) how long is recovery. Any help appreciated.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I assume you are getting an arthroscopy for diagnosis of this problem you have.

They just stick a tiny camera into and make 1 incision I think in your case.

The recovery is those 2 days you will be on crutches and then the week after just walking regularly again and working with any small scar tissue that develops.  Surgery probably isn't long since they are just peeking into your knee to look for problems.  Surgery is probably in the early morning and you should be out by early afternoon latest.

• Posted

thank you. Yes, the Dr said look around, clean up anything they find. Maybe torn meniscus, maybe bones need "sanding".

• Posted

Victoria how is your recovery going?  I’m not sure what you had done with your scope. I had a scope 7 weeks ago for a menisectomy and clean up of arthritis.  My pain is way worse now than before scope.  I was told to try to be up and walking around as much as possible to promote healing.  Honestly, I am no better now than the week after surgery.  Advice, listen to what your body is telling you.  Your doctor is not the one in pain, you are.  If you think bearing weight is too much, stop.  Give it a rest for a while.  Do non impact exercise to promote range of motion and keep your leg from being in a bent position.  I decided to stay off my leg for at least a week, and then see how I do bearing some weight.  Trying to get a second opinion.  Good luck.  If you can, let me know how you are.  Thanks
    • Posted

I have not had the scope done yet. It is scheduled for 2 weeks from now. I hope it doesn't hurt worse. My knee has been locking up and that is extremely painful. The last time it locked up, it happened a few times in a row. That was also new. I have fraying of the meniscus and the Dr also mentioned cleaning up the bones.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.