Dr says I have sciaitica

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, about 5 days ago I started getting bad pain in my knee which has now spread to my thigh and hip. Sometimes the pain is in my foot too. I had a fall about 3 weeks ago and banged my knee. Everything was ok up until 5 days ago so I assumed the pain I've been getting was from that. However I have been to the drs today and explained everything. He seems to think it's sciaitica. I have had sciatica before but the pain was down the back of my leg. So my questions are:

Can Sciatica be brought on from a fall

Can Sciatica pain be felt down the front of the leg

Can Sciatica cause severe knee pain

Thankyou

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

YES, YES, AND YES AND INTO THE FOOT, BAD STUFF UPPER THIGH CRAMPS AND PAIN IN PLACES YOU WOULDN'T SUSPECT. YOU NEED TO GET AN MRI AND SEE WHAT YOU DAMAGED, THEN TREAT THE CAUSE.

• Posted

Thankyou for the reply. Could this also be what's causing the pain and tingling in my fingers as I certainly wouldn't suspect that. I get chest pain at times too.

• Posted

if you had an MRI and it didn't show the cause, time to see a Neuroligist and get a Milograhm, haven't heard of Siatica causing pain in face and tingling in fingers and chest pain, maybe need to see a Cardioligist as well. I am not a Physician so i can only comment on my experience.  

• Posted

I was diagnosed with Degenerative Disc Disease with Stenosis after an MRI. But it was negligible to mild. So why the debilitating pain for 8 weeks and still on a 2 years recovery. Well, I was also told I have sciatica and it turns out the MRI missed a labral strain in the left hip.

Anyway two years later with "sciatica", on my left side, I have had tingling on the left side of my face, neck, left arm, left rib cage under my arm, left hip socket, down my left butt cheek, down the back of my left leg, down the left side of my shin, out over the top of my left foot. My left leg became 1/2" shorter and from time to time a black and blue bruise would form on the top of my left foot. Doctor said it was tiny vessels bursting to relieve pressure. Weird, but no knee pain. Because of over compensating and using my ride side more than normal, the sole of my right foot would ache.

Tried acupressure, acupuncture, tens, PT, massage. None of that totally relieved the pain. However over time, and with stretching exercises, the pain now is more like a muscle spasm. It feels better when I'm walking and is more painful when I sit of stand for too long. I do have a physical job so that is probably not helping in healing. And I'm 61 and I'm in denial that I'm this old.

Oh and I stayed away from pain meds from the second day. My stomach couldn't handle it.

• Posted

You need to see a neurosurgeon.  They are the brain/spine experts who know where every nerve exits the spine and where it goes.  Ask for a CT/Myelogram with contrast.  It is the gold standard spine test...a complete map of what's going on in your spine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.