Dr says to take Lexapro at night. Any advise for sleep aids

Posted , 4 users are following.

I start my first 10mg lexapro tonight.  Doctor says take at night.  I have had insomnia since April due to depression and anxiety.  I have been prescribed 1 mg klonopin.  I have taken it maybe two three times a week sometimes I will do half a pill or cut it down to .25.  Has anyone had to take klonopin at night while waiting for lexapro to kick in and if so how long? How about melatonin?  

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello, you should look into a magnesium supplement.  It really helps with the insomnia, depression, and anxiety. Ask your doctor first to make sure you can take it. 
  • Posted

Hi acfierros,Yes I have been on 10mg of lexapro for 4 weeks and psych doctor in creased it to 15mg because of some anxiety in the morning.also I take klonopin small amount .125mg(quarter of. a .5mg tab) in the afternoon and .25mg(half of a 0.5mg) at bed time which helps me sleep.My psych doctor said don't take melatonin because the klonopin helps until the lexapro level is established and the melatonin will e too much.Good luck to you and God Bless.

• Posted

Acfierros,I forgot to let you know that I don't take my lexapro at night I take it early in the morning.

• Posted

Hi Pam30642. Thanks for the reply. I'm feeling so so tired. Last night I did My first lexapro 10mg at 9. I was getting sleepy so I don't know if it was the lexapro or just me getting tired. Though I can't sleep because of the anxiety. I took a 5mg melatonin at 10. It didn't do anything. I laid in bed wanting to sleep but couldn't. Finally at midnight I did .5 klonopin that got me to sleep. I hate this melatonin it does nothing. I have used the more potent one rozerem which is prescription only. It works but doesn't give me a good stretch of sleep. I can not take that at the same time as lexapro. I decided that I would start the Lexapro every morning. I did a lexapro this morning at 10. I've been so tired all day I can't do anything. It's 5pm right now as I type and I'm in bed. I can't nap either because the insomnia is awful. I don't know if I should do the lexapro tomorrow morning this time no melatonin tonight or take lexapro tomorrow night. If I take lexapro in the morning I'll take the rozerem tonight. If I do lexapro tomorrow night I'll have to do the klonopin. I'm just scared of benzos. You said you do Lexapro in the morning does it make you sleepy at all?

• Posted

If I'm reading this right, you took 10 mg at night, and then another 10 mg the next morning? It probably wasn't a good idea to take the two doses so close together, although it won't harm you. It just might make the side effects worse.

?I would stick with taking it in the morning. Lexapro can cause insomnia at first, especially for those of us already prone to sleep issues;-).

?I have sleep issues as well, and I'm prescribed a low dose of trazadone to take at night as needed. I went 5 years with needing it only a few times a year; now, since April, I need it anywhere from once a week to every other night. I'm hoping as the escitalopram starts to work more that I'll need the trazadone less and less.

?If you do get tired during the day as a result of the Lexapro, it should eventually (within a few weeks) level out, so you aren't so exhausted during the day.

• Posted

Yes the first night I took it was Friday night around 9. Then yesterday morning I took it around 10. Feeling awful today. I have not had a lexapro yet. My doctor told me to take it at night. I can do a klonopin or rozerem if I can't sleep. I am so confused right now. I'm not sure if I should do the lexapro now. It's almost 11am. I'm already feeling no energy.

• Posted

Hi acfierros,I think you should call your doctor if you are too anxious hopefully they will explain what is happening. I was the same way when starting,I was afraid and put way too much thought into it,I know that this is real,but in the beginning it is unbelievable and the anxiety is overwhelming and after about 6 weeks it does get better.They told me not to be afraid of using a small amount of benzos because it really helped me to sleep and durning the day.Try to find a support group they are great and you will be so surprised to find out that ALOT of people go through this.Best of Luck.God Bless.
  • Posted

Hi Acfierros,

I switched from Night to morning, when i took it at night it affected my sleep soo bad.

My doc says its best in the morning for me since the night pattern did not work out, different people with different reactions. I sleep well now .

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.