Dr suggests bipolar turp

Posted , 16 users are following.

after 4 years of bhp symptoms I went back to a urologist for a second time. I'm 55 and have typical symptoms. I take flomax 2 times a day. I get up 1 to 2 times a night. I pee about 15 times a day never emptying my bladder. I have urgency when I do have to go. I'm always concerned about a restroom where ever my wife and I go. our sex life is ok i have no problem getting hard but my orgasm has slight pain. so this lead me back to a different urologist last week in livonia michigan. Going in and after a rectal exam he said I needed a urolfit. 15 min later after an ultrasound and going in through my penis he changed quickly and said I needed a bipolar turp and that my bladder showed damage. He said the turp would absolutely fix my problem. He also watched my stream and said I really needed this procedure. I have been following this forum for a couple of years and concluded that nothing is guaranteed. I believe he said I have a very large medium lobe. I left out that most of the time when I urinate I have some pain it varies. He also said my bladder would do some healing after time. Has anyone had success with this. What are your thoughts please. The doctor was quite calm with his first suggestion of urolift. After going in with the camera he seemed very concerned and said I should get the turp done right away that I was damaging my bladder.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Also consider Medlift, Urolift for a median lobe. I had it done 11 months ago, still have some retention and CIC about every 5-7 days and get around 200 ml, but probably due my bladder being overstretched for so long. Not ideal, but I can live a normal life again and no side affects.

• Posted

Hi Joe,

I had a bipolar TURP 18 months ago. It cured all my symptoms except I still get up a few times during the night. Overall it made a massive improvement in my quality of life and it caused me no bad side effect. I know there are risks with all surgical procedures. I think it depends to a large extent on the skill of the surgeon so do what you can to get someone experienced.

Mike

• Posted

Thx everyone for all the responses.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.