Dr. told me today I was having a nervous breakdown so what comes next?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Been in bed for the last 11 days. It all got to be so much that I have not been able to function.  I've called out of work each day, but my Dr. is working on the paperwork to protect my job and so I can receive Short Term Disability pay. By not fuctioning I truly mean it. Brushed my teeth before going to my appointment...first time since 5/4. Embarassingly I just couldn't get the strength up to shower. The thought of doing anything is just too much. This did not come on all at once on 5/5, it has been coming for quite a while, I have just reached the bottom. Haven't been able to clean my room in over a month so it really does look like my closet threw up. I am embarrased and ashamed of all this. My Soul is tired and I just don't have the strength to do anything. I was not ina  very good mental-emotional state at my appointment so I couldnot think of the questions I should have asked. She said something about a Psychiatrist and different meds. I am already on many meds, some for pain from an accident years ago, some blood pressure, cholesterol meds, water pill etc... but also Veneflaxine 300 mg a day and Xanax .5 mg 4 times a day. I will call my Dr. tomorrow to find out what the plan is for setting up with Psych and about what NEW meds. But, I am suffering major anxiety and panic right now since I don't know what comes next. I'm hoping someone out there can maybe give me some sort of idea of what is next for me so maybe I can try to get some rest.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Karebare do you know triggered this?  Or did it just come out of the blue?  Are you living with others? Did you have family or friends to talk to?  I think the next step would be to re-evaluate all your medication and to start counselling, especially if your depression and anxiety is PTSD related.  If you are on a lot of medications I would start looking up their drug interactions with each other.  For eg. if you are taking painkillers but also taking antidepressants and benzos you could get serotonin poisoning.  I'm on  Norspan 10 patch and take an antidepressant but my Doctor refuses to give me anymore painkillers for breakthough pain nor will she prescribe me any benzos because of the real threat of serotonin poisoning.  Have you chatted to your GP about the drug interactions of your medications?  Also, I assume since you are in regular contact with your Doctor that she has done a full blood workup to make sure you don't have a virus or thyroid issues? I am wishing you the best and I hope you start getting some answers.  Don't hesitate to personal message me if you just want to chat to someone. 
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your response. My doctor and I do have a very close relationship.  She is quite adamant regarding my blood labs being done very regularly because of the amount of meds I take.  The are full workups including Thyroid, Cholesterol, Triglicerites etc.. last one was mid Feb. I have had depression for many years and from what I understand it is quite the family trait. My great-gradfather would say he was "blue".  I work for a global company and the stress is always extremely high at work. The first of the year there were realignments and my new supervisor used to be a co-worker with me on the same level. I know her to be a liar and to have low morals regarding our last supervisors, kind of how she was promoted.  I know that sounds like sour grapes but it's not.  I have no interest in being in a management or supervisory position. 8 years and have never had any issues with my production.  I dreaded the change to having her as my supervisors as I know how she is and how she feels about me. From the start she has made it extremely difficult regarding working with my medical conditions where there had been no issues in the past. I had been permitted to work from home several times a month when my health would not permit me to drive. 1 1/2 years with no issues, but now it's a problem and I had to jump through hoops to get intermitant leave when I couldn't travel and then was told I could not work from home until I juped through hoops with medical notifications and human resourses and then they would have a meeting to see if they wanted to approve it or not.  I was called into her office to be informed I was receiving a point for clocking in 1 minute late that day. (10 point in a rolling calendar year -will get you sacked).  Funny how she was aware I was 1 minute late but when I asked her if (I'll call him Bob) if Bob was okay she looked confused and asked why, why wouldn't he be okay.  "Well he hasn't come into work".  She was unaware the co-worker next to me had not shown up but was very aware I was 1 minute late. Too late for "long story short" but it has been coming on like I said more and more since the beginning of the year and then on 5/5 I just couldn't move at all to get up and prepare for work. Work is not the only stress in my life, but although it has been coming on for a while I quite suddenly could do absolutely nothing. Spouse is non responsive. He is retired on disability and it seems his concerns are that I go to work. If I am home ill he does not like it and gets perturbed about it. In the time I've been off since 5/4 he has said only 3 things to me regarding me being in bed ill. on 5/5 "You're not going to work?", 5/11 "Aren't you going to go to work" and 5/13 "Are you getting paid?" Not once "How are you feeling? or What's wrong? Are you okay? nothing. (aplogize for this being so lengthy.
    • Posted

First, I believe she should see your GP to re-evaluate your medication but I think it is dangerous when poeple tell you to don't rely on medication or to stop your medication all together.  What you need is a wholistic approach that includes medication and counselling.  Secondly, I understand what you are going through with work.  After kidney surgery three years ago I continued to be ill and suffer from pain so I had to work out a reduced duties plan.  A lot of my co-workers were not very sympathic and begrudged me taking on some of the 'easier' tasks.  This caused more stress and hence more sick days until I eventually called it quits and resigned in November last year.  I do plan to go back to university but am using the time in the interim to try to get better.  I kind of get where your partner is coming from.  He has probably been depending on you to keep working so you can keep paying the bills and keep a roof over your heads.  But with you being ill, he is probably suffering from bad anxiety about both of your futures.  What you need to do is to have an open conversation with him about what is going to happen if you need to take some extended leave from work and how you are going to cope financially.  The focus needs to be on both of you getting well.
    • Posted

I sat down with my partner and explained the various way my next 2 pays will come in, and then after that my pays will be via Short Term Disability...75% of my regular pay until I return to work or until I use up all STD time available, which I believe is up to 26 weeks. So he has that information now, so I wonder how involved he will get the process of a psychiatrist and counseling. I srsly doubt he will involve himself much at all.
  • Posted

Johnnyblack apparently they are looking over your post for some reason and it hasn't come through the moderator yet. Can you please reply again as I am anxious and interested in hearing from anyone out there regarding this. Try to make sure you haven't included any links, profanity, disrespectful or rude stuff.  I don't know what they are looking for but you can check out why they don't post some comments.  Please do share what ever you have to share. 
  • Posted

I can so relate to you. Big (((hugs))) I think that your doctor is right. You need referral to a psychiatrist and then you can discuss this with someone who can get you onto thr right treatment.

The anxiety and panic you are feeling is totally normal. The Psychiatrist will just discuss things with you and then look into which is the best way forward for you.

Try to focus on calm thoughts and deep breathing. That will help you to relax.x

• Posted

Thank you so much. Yesterday was incredibly tough.  I finally fell asleep around 4 AM while watching Agatha Christies Miss Marple. It occured to me my journey is going to be quite the Mystery Detective story. Find the clues, follow the clues and try to solve the mystery. Please don't abandon me. I'm no Miss Marple and even she pulled in aide to help her.  (((hugs))) to you if you have gone or are going though this. Your positive attitude gives me hope. X
  • Posted

Try to remember the strongest people in the world are forged out of terrible times!!!!!

What goes down must come up again and when you do overcome this you will see just how amazing and beautiful life is and you wont take anything for granted!

It sounds like you need help from a councelling psychologist. It will be hard but I'm sure you can overcome this and make a brilliant life for you self. Abraham lincoln had a nervous breakdown in his 20's and went on to become one of the most infuential men of all time. To be honest, most of the most brilliant, well rounded, happy and succesfull people have been to the depths of their minds and climed there way out of it. You just need to keep moving forward! 

Meds might help mask your symptoms but the real healing will come from working with a psychologist to combat the negative beliefs and to heal the pains from you past that are holding you back. I'm not sure if you are much of a reader, but I would highly reccomend reading a book called man's search for meaning, it will show you that no matter where you are in life you can overcome anything. Happiness and peace come from inside of yourself. 

I have also been to the absolute depths of my mind and fought my way out.

Find a psychologist, dont rely on meds, and get reading self help books.

As well mans search for meaning- feal the feal and do it anyway, mind over mood, and healing your aloneness are amazing.

I also strongly reccomend that you learn Trancendental meditation, look into it, it will help you enormously. I know its going to take all your strength to overcome this, But start my reading. Knowledge really is power when it comes to your mental health.

So get reading.............

Another thing, force yourself to exercise!!! it is so important, healthy body healthy mind- a good blast of the lungs can sometimes nudge you in a positive direction.

Life can be hard, and it is a massive challenge at times. But embrace it and enjoy it! 

Also, when you are back to functioning a little, seriously consider learning Trancendental Meditation!!! it is key.

Remember, this could easily be the making of you.

Good luck!!

• Posted

People always ask "How are You?"  My resonse has been "Woke up breathing, so must be doing okay." First because I know they don't really care nor want to hear how I am and second because I feel waking up breathing is probably the only good thing I can expect to happen. Even that fact really doesn't give me joy but it's better than a poke in the ear with a pointed stick. I don't know if yesterday was Day 1 of this thing or if today is Day 1.  Either way I realize this is the beginning of something and I appreciate all positive thoughts and ideas as I sort out which route is best for me on my journey.
    • Posted

I have reread your posting and you have a lot of good advice regarding meditation, relaxing and looking within oneself to help heal oneself. I do not totally agree with not taking medication. The human body is made up of so many different things that all work together and rely on each other in order to function. For instance your mouth is made to work as a perfectly fuctioning machine. This is why for the most part we are able to bite, chew, move food from one side of the mouth to the other, and even though rude, talk with our mouths full and swallow. Unless something is out of whack we do all this without thinking about it and we do it without chewing our tongue, cheeks and lips to shred. If we begin doing this then we do something about it. Get our teeth straightened, find out how to get rid of the infection that is causing swelling, or find out what is wrong with our electrical currents that cause us to keep biting that tongue. That is where either a supplement or medication is required. With that in mind I do believe something can be amiss with us biologically that is causing us to not function properly emtionally and mentally. So I do believe we may need a medication to correct the biological issue but not to rely solely on that to heal us. Medication should not be used as a permenant crutch or emotionally and mentally we will never become strong again. Just as if you used crutches to walk all the time you would lose the muscle tone needed to walk without them. Yes use them as long as necessary to help mend what is broken but begin the physical therapy as soon as possible to regain the strength needed to walk alone.
    • Posted

My view is that we have evolved for millions of years to have brains in perfect equilibrium, the right level of seretonin, dopamine, endorphins etc. We are not supposed to be living in this competitive, capitalist, socially inept society. Were supposed to live in small, loving communities with many friends and no real stresses. Throughout our whole lives we are shamed, shamed from a young age for not being cool enough, not getting our homework in, often we are mentally and physically abused. All these thing stay with you, they add up over the years and lead to a reduction in the feel good chemicals in your brain - this unhappiness and anxiousness is telling you that something is wrong. However, it can be fixed without medication. It can be fixed by looking into your past and healing old wounds - its an easy thing to do with the right knowledge, I really reccommend reading 'Healing your Aloness' it will start you on the healing process. Soon after starting this work the chemical balance in your mind will start to return naturally. You will be happy at a level you have never felt before. Trancendental meditation also works by reversing the process of abuse that everyone in modern society has been through from a young age, it is much more profound and real than just relaxing. 

I respect your opinion on medication, I may well be looking at it through a subjective lense and I really hope that it works for you. But I still strongly suggest you have a go at the readings and works I have suggested in conjunction with the medication. The meds may hinder the healing process slightly but they can certainly be used in conjunction with each other, and when you have built up your psychological knowledge base and have been practicing your healing work you will know when you are ready to come off the meds! You really are on the right track......... looking for solutions, and you will find them! Please read the books I have mentioned and take the messages on board....... and let me know how you are getting on with them.

And again I cant stress strongly enough how much Trancendental Meditation will help you, along side the work from the books I've suggested. TM costs 290 quid and you need to learn it from a trained proffesional, go to the website to find your local teacher. In the mean time do your research into the benifits of it-  look it up on youtub, maybe type in 'Celebraties on Trancendental meditation' to hear it from some faces you may trust'.

Good luck smile

• Posted

As well mans search for meaning- feal the feal and do it anyway, mind over mood, and healing your aloneness are amazing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.