Dr won't give Levo as tsh normal

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've all the normal symptons of hypo but dr says I'm within the normal range

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Did he test your T3 and T4 levels? If so what were they?

I was put on levothyroxine when my Tsh was only borderline and it ruined my life. All my symptoms got worse as they kept increasing the dose and now im they are trying to take me off it. If all your results are within range it may not be the cause. However, some people need to be at the higher end to feel good. Adrenal problems such as cushings can cause similar hypo sysmptoms- have you had your cortisol tested?

• Posted

It's a long story going back 4yrs  I first had the radio active pill and from then on it's all been down hill . I can't get warm, pains from my head down my back and legs ,short of breath, general fatigue and always tired even if I sleep long hours
    • Posted

I see. If all your levels are normal I would try and get referred to an endocrinologist for a second opinion if you are suffering with hypo symptoms. They may not refer you though if they don't see any point. I was put on a really long waiting list so I decided to pay to see someone privately and it was the best money I have ever spent as I started getting some answers.

Good luck I hope you manage to see someone who can help

• Posted

Hello, I understand everything you said as I am in the exact same boat. I had the radioactive iodine treatment 3 years ago. For a year I was on Levothyroxine, but all my symptoms became worse and believe me it was awful. At the end of last year I was taken off all the medication and my blood results improved although now at the low end of normal, but I know I still have many of the symptoms of being underactive. I also have a terrible cough and my weight keeps on going up and no end of dieting does any good. Can I get my doctor to listen, not at all. If you read the many stories of the people who post here it appears if you want to get anything done to help then you have to go private. It is scandelous the level of care for Thyroid patients within the NHS. Hope you find a solution soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.