Dr won't give prescription for HRT

Posted , 4 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

have been taking HRT for about 16 years Esterdern 50MX no side affects. About a year 18 months ago the Dr said I needed to come off it and none of the doctors in the practice will prescribe say I am to old 68 and have been on it to long.  

I cant stand the the symptoms for much longer night sweats, hot flushes, bad mood swings, can be ok and next minute in a foul mood, or wanting to cry all the the time.  Been offered antidepressants and beta blockers which I am sure are worse for you than HRT and I said no to.

I was on my own for several years after my marriage broke up and have only known my partner around 3 years been living with him for two and half years, he is very good about it all putting up with the mood swings etc but it is not fair on him.  I would like the relationship to last but some times feel I should just leave as I can make his and my life hell. Just want my HRt back.

Does anyone know if I go see a Dr privately will they prescribe HRT or is there any where I can buy safely online.

0 likes, 6 replies


6 Replies

  • Posted

    Hello Ann

    I don't know where you live but I suggest that you find a gynaecologist who specialises in hormones.  Before you make an appointment find out from the practice who is supportive of prescribing HRT to older women.  Doctors like to cover themselves, quite rightly, but they can also be conservative in their approach.  They tend to to follow the Ministry of Health guidelines which were probably devised by conservative doctors based on a few evidence-based research articles.  I worked as an academic myself and I know research outcomes can vary.  My former gynaecologist who was a professor said that the world wide study was flawed in some ways, yet many doctors have made decisions based on that.

    Good luck with finding a specialist who will support your choice.  I've got a young gynaecologist who continues to prescribe HRT for me but likes to have a conversation about it every couple of years.  I'm 67 and have taken HRT for 17 years.  I ensure that I keep in with him to continue getting the prescriptions.  I don't favour taking medicine without doctor's knowledge.  Good luck.

  • Posted

    Hi Ann. Would it be possible to speak to you? I have been in a very similar situation


    • Posted

      Hi Anne

      thank yo for your reply.  Sorry I cannot speak to you as I am leaving shortly to go on holiday. 

      Not sure where you are as I see from other discussions replies come from a number of different countries. I am in the UK

      kind regards


    • Posted

      Hi Anne have a lovely holiday. I am down in the west country Next Devon. I have the name and number of a consultant gynaecologist who specialises in HRT. Private and NHS. I don't know where in the UK you are. If you would like any more info let me know. Take care. Anne.

  • Posted

    Hi Anne oh dear i feel for you , i have been taking HRT for 6/7 years now came off of it as had to have aneasthetic!  Phew after 6 weeks hot sweats anxiety bk not good , now bk on HRT i am 63, my Dr wants to lower my dose in 6 months ? I would talk with your gyneacologist ? I know how you feel x

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up