Dr wont treat due to being a smoker?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi! I have recently started having acid refulx after taking Gabapentin at the highest dose and have seen diffrent drs about the reflux they have gave me some diffrent meds, lanzoprazole and rinitadine. I am using Gavascon but I am still getting the problems have just been to my GP where he said due to my lifestyle that the guidlines say he can't try anything untill I stop smoking.

What do you suggest I do?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi jake09849

Stop smoking!......smoking can make acid reflux much worse....it seems futile for your doctor to treat your acid reflux if you continue smoking...... that will not help with your acid reflux..a waste of time and effort....you should give smoking up and see if the acid reflux goes away...if it does not go away then go back to your doc and ask for treatment.......best wishes

• Posted

Stop smoking for the sake of your wealth as well as your health. Work out how much you would save and think of the difference it would make to your family or your future pension if you put the money into that. 20 Cigarettes a day in the UK cost over £3,000 a year. That is a of money to spend to shorten your life,

• Posted

Just a sidenote:

you offset the benefit of lanzoprazole

if you take it together with Gavascon and/or Rinitadine at same or roughly same time.

You need 12 hours between those meds. Lanzoprazole is the strongest acid reducer due to chemical background, but you won't have any effect, if you combine it with less strong rinitadine within 12 hours and with just on spot neutralisation working Gavascon within 4-8 hours. (PPI need a sour 4.5ph minimum to be metabolized)

Try taking those meds on different times in case you didn't.

The PPI Lanzoprazole on its own!

when stomach is in mild sour ph, otherwise will never work.

E.g. take PPI Lanzoprazole in the morning, first thing,

and Gavascon some hours later if you have acute symptoms,

but rinitadine in the evening, so that there was a long time without any Gavascon and rinitadine before taking PPI Lanzoprazole again (in the morning).

Best of luck!!!

• Posted

Your doctor should not be discriminating against your lifestyle.  He should be treating your acid reflux regardless of impersonal guidlines and telling you what he can do to help not what he can't or won't do. He should understand how hard it is to quit smoking and if he wants you to stop, he should be offering you smoking cessation services.  I would change your doctor

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.