Drain it early?????

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, just wondering if any of you have your abscesses drained before they get red and come to a head. My current one is already large and raised but still flesh colored. I know it's gonna be a whopper probably at least golfball sized and is obviously painful and hard to have my arm in a down position. I know in a few days from experience I won't be able to hold my arm down at all and will be in severe pain. I do get hydro for my pain from my Dr. I usually let them go until they pop or I do it myself. I am seriously thinking of having this lanced and drained before it gets to where it's so big it's unbearable. Just wondering if I should wait longer like usual or just have it done early. ANy thoughts???

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Doctors would never do it for me no matter how much pain or how much I begged, verge of tears. Never fully understood why. I think it has to run its course or it will get more compliance and reoccur sooner. I started to find that was true when I pushed them ahead if time myself
    • Posted

I was wondering if it would come back worse because it is the same one i popped earlier and now it's huge and not even finished growing.

My new Dr will lance anytime for me though. She's an angel! However the closest hospital won't touch me and told me never to come back for HS! They were horrified at it (was larger than tennos bal black oozing ) even though it was the worst ever and u get one guess where it was it. COuldn't walk. They were horrible, Said they were afraid and the nurse made the most horrific face...if only she knew how it felt! Thanks for getting back to me!

• Posted

Thats a terrible and very unprofessional way to be treated by a hospital's staff. From what my doctor told me, trying to pop them or lancing them only makes them worse in the long run. I try to be positive though and I hope  it works out for you. Let me know if lancing them early on helps at all. I'd love to hear a follow up on that.

• Posted

Hello Grerory, I just recently had a tiny leak unlike the usual flow I get when they pop. It  is still large and very hard , so this wasn't a good idea for sure! Going to Dr Monday morning. It burns like crazy lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.