Drains?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I realize that this question is purely personal experience...but I'm just wondering...

Did you or did you not have a drain for any period of time after your surgery? And were you inpatient or outpatient?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

For gallbladder removal, I had no drains and was done as day surgery, home in afternoon.
  • Posted

For me nothing is personal because we're all trying to get answers to get well. I'm assuming your talking about diarrhea? I don't have those issues. I have burning pain in my ride side that is in my right side back as well.

• Posted

Hi

Yes I had a chest drain for 4 days as when they went in to take my gallbladder out they found that it was 75% necrotic and it had attached itself to my liver, so instead of day surgery I was in for 4 days and they did the chest drain to monitor bleeding from my liver.

The only bad things I had with the chest drain was:

1. Morning after surgery a nurse insisted that I got out of bed to go to loo for a wee instead of giving me a bottle and she almost ripped (well it felt like it) the chest drain out when she put the gown round me as she bashed it and all she did was laughed when I swore at her.

2. When it was removed they had to peel off about a square foot of adhesive sheet from my abdomen that took every hair with it and pulled at my other 3 wounds from surgery.

3. When the nurse was pulling the tube out I could feel it sucking my inerds as it created a slight vacuum, it was a relief when that was done.

• Posted

Yeah all OK now, that was back in November 2014, a year to forget, it started bad with 11 days in hospital at beginning of January (actually 3 years tomorrow since i was admitted to A&E) due to infected gallbladder and liver infection and that was a catalogue of errors from start to finish, had to wait 26hrs for proper pain relief (morphine pump) as the strongest the staff nurse on the emergency ward could administer was paracetamol and oromorph and took major pain nurse 12hrs to turn up, even heard her on the ward 4hrs before she actually came to me arguing with the staff nurse that we would have to wait as she was going on her break.

Got dumped on a ward that had 2 dementia patients on it that took up all the staffs time and it only improved as I got injured by one that tried to attack my wife so they moved him into a private room and had 2 staff with him at all times, (his care home did the dirty on the hospital as they sent him in to hospital with nothing wrong with him and then refused to have him back due to how violent he was, he would just walk up to nurses and Dr's and punch them), this was only done after the staff nurse asked me to put in an official complaint.

Then I was on nill by mouth for 7 mornings while they hoped to fit me in for surgery but I would have to wait till just after lunch for them to say can't fit me in so just had 1 evening meal each day.

Then had an operation cancelled in March that year due to an incompetent anaesthetist who didn't know how to regulate my irregular heartbeat while I was under anaesthetic (some eastern bloc migrant who you couldn't understand), he also managed to put the IV line straight through my vein and I ended up with fluid collecting in my forearm (thought I had an infection as it swelled up) I had to sit with my left arm up in the air as much as possible for it to drain away (i could feel it moving down my arm). Then I got referred to cardiology and had a 3 month wait to be told I was fit for surgery and that there were many drugs that could have been administered to regulate my irregular heartbeat but looking at the notes he said the anaesthetist had done nothing.

Then I was added to the bottom of the waiting list for surgery (you would think I would be on top by now), my pre op appointment came up late October and the staff there couldn't believe what I had already gone through and said I should put in an official complaint.

Op date came up and I was filled with dread as I saw the same anaesthetist walking round the pre op waiting area but luckily I didn't get him and had an English person who told me not to worry as he would do a proper job and had seen in the notes the mess the other one made and you've already read what happened on the op, that lasted over 3hrs due to what they found.

So as I said 2014 was a year to forget.

• Posted

Good grief, it was an ordeal for you. Well, I do hope 2017 is a good one for you - and me as I had a bit of a do (though not nearly as much as you) in end of 2015/6 and it is good to see the back of such times, with any luck.

​Best wishes, psmpage.

• Posted

I did have a drain but it is NOT typical. My dad did too and he had his surgery almost a year ago. I think it was the surgeon's prefernce to put one in. Both of our surgeries were outpatient - no issues, no complications. Very simple, straight forward removals but we both had drains. If you do have to have one, it's honestly just a pain in the @$$. It doesn't hurt, it's just annoying that it's there. I had to sleep in a recliner instead of my bed which is all I wanted to do knowing I couldn't, and only because I would roll onto the drain. 5 days later it was out and all was good. I do unfortunately have some scar tissue from it that pulls every once and a while but a small issue compared to my GB issues. Barring any issues, you SHOULDN'T have a drain put in.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.