Dramatic Weight Loss problem

Posted , 5 users are following.

My friend has stumped the doctors in my local area. Since last November she has been un-diagnosed after repeated hospitalizations, doctor visits, phone consultations, etc. I'm tired of it (so is she!) and want to find somebody who might offer something other than "I don't know what's wrong with you. Let's test..."

Her symptoms are....

extreme weight loss (70 pounds in 4 months) she is down to 115 pounds

nausea

numbness of limbs when she wakes up in the morning or lays down for too long

light headed when standing too quickly

repeated infusions of potassium and magnesium

nothing she eats stays down for more than 2 hours (usually 20-30 minutes) before she throws up

recently went from swallowing pills to swallowing liquids, (except during hospital stays when they only give her pills)

heart rate was ok yesterday but is now extremely slow

blood pressure is so low they are moving her to an intensive care unit

I sincerely believe that if she does not receive a correct diagnosis soon she will not make it to her 32nd birthday (or see her kids start school).

If anybody out there could help cure/diagnose my friend I would be eternally grateful!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Well, err, it's extremely hard to say what it is neutral I know when I was suffering an Abdominal Angiogram was helpful in revealing the sneakiness smile I presume she has already been through the other mills, x-rays, ultrasounds, endoscopy etc etc ???
  • Posted

After 4 months of more tests, x-rays, mri's, ultrasounds, etc. she is still not diagnosed. Since my last post she has had MRI and/or test on her liver, spleen, stomach and esophogus. Everything comes up fine.

Her symptoms have not changed. She has been readmitted to the hospital for potassium and magnesium infusions. (I think it's called infusion)

My friend is now under 100 pounds (45 kg).

Her health has continued to deteriorate. She can't sit for an extended amount of time because it hurts her tailbone (not enough 'cushion').

Trying to keep up with 3 kids (ages 5, 4 and 22 months) is exhausting her.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Will you please talk with as many people as possible about these symptoms to anybody who will listen and take up a challenge?

I don't want to go from being Maid-Of-Honor to the friend who delivers the euology in the same year. I refuse to accept that there is no diagnosis available. There just has to be one out there somewhere.

• Posted

eek 45 kg is not good at all neutral Maybe she is like I was, Coronary Artery Disease / Vascular Disease (Mesenteric Ischaemia) neutral It's a really sneaky thing sad
  • Posted

Hi This is lisa :

There are many reasons behind Dramatic Weight Loss like :

Loss of appetite

Persistent vomiting, e

Malabsorption,

Medication, especially polypharmacy in the elderly.

Endocrine like : diabetes mellitus, hyperthyroidism, Addison's disease, gut hormone tumours

Malignancylike : lymphoma, leukaemia, carcinoma, sarcoma.

Systemic disease like heart failure, chronic respiratory disease, chronic renal failure, liver failure, rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus.

Acute infection.

Chronic infections and infestations,

Malnutrition,

Psychological problems like : stress , depression, anorexia nervosa, psychoses, manipulative behaviour, food phobias.

• Posted

Has she been tested for lupus? The symptoms seem to suggest an autoimmune problem. To find out more about it go to lupus UK forum on healthunlocked website.
  • Posted

Good news (maybe)!

Just heard from her

"Found a hiatal hernia and a valve stuck open between my small and large intestine. Fixed those two things through adjustments and movements, then he gave me a supplement to take before meals to help break down food better."

Keeping my fingers crossed that this is part of the answer. I still want to know WHY is it broke, but I'll be content with a HOW to fix it...at least for now. (If it works)

I appreciate all of the suggestions that have come through. Please keep them coming if you can think of anything else.

• Posted

That's great news and it does sound right what they found. Well done you for trying to help and for her for being strong and persevering. All the best.
  • Posted

you tried to help and really it is appreciable. I wish for her to stay healthy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.