Dre after radiation

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just one question. Is a DRE done after radiation for prostate cancer? If so, when and how often? The treatment was successful and PSA is sitting at 3.1 four months after rt. Sorry to ask on here if people have seen it on other sites. But I'm a bit confused!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

if you're referring to a digital rectal examination, it should be done during the diagnosis process, before any treatment is administered.

• Posted

Hello Winn. Yes, I had several which confirmed a nodule. Then a biopsy which gave Gleason 3+4=7, intermediate Favourable. Radiation finished early Feb. I'm just wondering if they keep on with the digital rectal exams as a routine follow up after radiation and if so how often. I know the psa will be tested regularly, the first one will be 6 months from my second consultation last month. (June.) Thanks for your reply.

• Posted

DRE is done before treatment and is used to feel any irregularities of the prostate that might indicate cancer. I had radiation in 2014 and have not had a DRE since. PSA is now 0.1 to 0.2. Takes time for the PSA to go down. You should ask your urologist this question.

• Posted

Thanks Tom. I shall try to find out more this week. The report from my June consultation contained details about another patient but has since been updated with mine! However, it mentioned an annual dre which was not mentioned during our chat. I'm concerned that the annual dre was for him. Of course, my oncologist is now on holiday until September! Interesting that you have not had a dre since radiation, which helps answer my question.

• Posted

No need for a DRE since the cancer has been treated. The doesn't mean that urologists don't do them post radiation. We have found on this forum that different urologists have their own preferred ways of working.

• Posted

Hi the Toad

Im gleeson 9.i have finished 2 years of hormone therapy (oops disgnosed i March 2017) had 8 weeks of radiatipn.

Only ever had a DRE ever ,before MRI s etc 1 DRI.oops DRE. NOW JUST WAITING TOO SEE WHEN Psa will start to rise , i am 75.

Cheers , hope you dont get too worried

• Posted

Hi Henry. 8 Weeks must have been very tiring! I had 4 weeks and 60 Gy and found that a chore, but had transport from volunteer drivers which helped a lot. You've possibly realised that I am a worrier. It started when I had emergency surgery for bowel cancer and have recently been given the ok after 5 years. BUT, the prostate cancer was diagnosed just before the 5 years were up so I'm trying to get used to the stress of more tests every few months and am hoping that dre's are not needed now. I've got used to them now but can't help worrying. A pointless exercise I know. I'm 73.

• Posted

I had Brachytherapy for prostate cancer 2 years ago. It's a low dose radiation seed implants. I am cancer free now, last PSA was 0.1. I have seen my urologist at 6 month intervals and he has always done a DRE with my visit. It is not something I look forward to, but he says he checks for hardness and abnormalities. And that I will eventually go from the 6 month visits to annual ones. I guess if the DRE helps ensure that all is well, it is worth it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.