DRE Digital Rectal Exam

Posted , 6 users are following.

Some reason last post formatted incorrectly, will try again.

I have had an aching in my testicals / prostate for 3 weeks now since I had to self cath on Feb 9, 2019. I have an appointment with my urologist on Tuesday this week. Should I refuse DRE? Does this cause symptoms to worsen? It has been 1 year since last he did the DRE.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'd take your urologists advice on whatever he thinks is required.

ive had countless DrE's no problem but last time my prostatitis flared up the doctor did a DRE and it hurt like hell for a couple of days .

• Posted

My last DRE stimulated my Vagus nerve and put me back into AF.

• Posted

Weird that a DRE can cause afib. Never heard that before. Does sex cause any issues?

• Posted

I first went into AF following a heart valve replacement in 2012.

I had two cardioversions and the second put me back into AF. That was OK for about 15 months until I had a colonoscopy that also stimulated my vagus nerve and put me back into AF. Another cardioversion put me back into AF until I had the DRE.

Since then I have been in permanent AF. Because of the size of the right atrium chamber of my heart I'm told that another cardioversion would not work unless I first have an ablation that if successful might reduce the atrium size and allow for a cardioversion that works !

The AF is not as bad as it was the first twice and I can live with it as it is not disruptive.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.