Dread

Posted , 5 users are following.

So here Ian the day before I go into have a full hystorectomy done and I'm full of dress and fear not knowing what to expect not knowing who I'll be afterwards is this normal? Death has entered my head a few times really starting to freak out and don't want to freak my family out ... help xx

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

It's absolutely normal Elaine, I wanted to run far away the day before mine but, I knew I had to have it done or I'd fall off my perch 😊, the morning of my opinion my fears had all gone, I think that my acceptance had chased them away, you will feel great afterwards no more nasty symptoms.

Phoebe

• Posted

That should read op not opinion, silly predictive text.
    • Posted

Thank you phoebe was beginning to think I was losing my mind bloody petrified xxx
  • Posted

I think fear, this is all part of the process, it used to be considered such a huge surgery, and some of that fear mothers and grandmothers talking in front of us when we were children.

I must admit I was very happy when I woke up, after my various surgeries, even with pain hitting me, but they are much better these days, with pain control, so you don't have to worry to much there.

I assume this is a surgery you really need, I did, mine was a endometiral cancer diagnosed 10 days earlier during a D & C, I had been having years of extreme red weeks, got to the point I was taking a week off work once a month, and wearing incontenence granny padding to cope with the flow, in the end I had a heamorage at home during the night, what a disaster, all bedding had to be taken to the dump, told I was lucky I woke up when I did.  3 units of blood to replace what I lost, and the D & C the following day.

Best wishes, you will feel alot better when this this is all over, never been better myself since.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply lyn yes it's surgery needed been suffering such bad pain and bleeding for past 10 years ablation didn't work so now this.... I get that fear is normal I just don't remember ever being so scared I have a great partner and my girls will be over lots so I know I'll be well looked after....i hope you've recovered well xx?

• Posted

Yes, I did very well, had some problems immediately after, they never fully understood what it was, maybe pain killers, or I went into some sort of shock, and started sweating, like a waterfall, but it did pass, the hospital were very good they kept me in for 9 days and stabilized me. Thankgod for public system in australia.

After I got home one of the things I did notice, why did I have so much money in my bank acct, then I realised just how much I had been spending trying to keep myself clean and dry during red week, became constant towards the end in the run up to the hemorrhage.

You won;t know yourself after the recovery time. Neverbeen better.

• Posted

Hi Elaine,

I hear you!  I went through a radical hysterectomy with everything gone 6 weeks ago and had all the same thoughts you mentioned.

My TAH  involved an epidural and having never been lucky enough to have children was terrifying enough but I was looked after my an amazing team of professionals that by the time I was sitting on the bed receiving my epidural I knew it would be OK.

My operation lasted 3.5 hours due to the size of the mass (equivilent to a 28 week pregnancy) and I have a 10 inch scar but very neat and along bikini line, so really pleased with that.

After the op you'll have a drip, catheter and meds.  All of these were taken out 24 hours after my op and they had me up and walking around in no time.  I won't lie it was a bit sore at first and I was scared to move but by day 2 it was much, much easier.

Follow their advice and drinks lots of peppermint tea.  Not a great taste but really helps with any painful wind and take all the meds they offer you.  It really helps the first few days!

I was able to go home on the 4th day (ask whoever's collecting you to bring a cushion to put between the seatbelt and your belly).

I found the first two weeks the worst at home and had a meltdown in week two.  I think it was the shock of the op, as only 3 weeks between diagnosis and op, frustration at not being able to do very much at all and worrying about my wound healing but through all that I felt so much better than before my operation.  Rest is absolutely the key - lots of sleep, movies, reading and a lovely family to bring everything to you.

Honestly it's terrifying going into the unknown but it will be OK, you will feel so much better once the ops over as the relief is palpable and you will hopefully feel so much better physically as well.

There are some great websites out there to help your.  If you haven't already try the HysterSisters and Life After Hysterectomy sites as they have great lists of what to take with you to make your stay as comfortable as possible.

Take care and good luck. biggrin

Ali

• Posted

Thanks Ali the women in here are fab I must say I'm just terrified as you say if the unknown....hope your feeling better and over the shock .... I was told few months but then got call telling me 2 weeks and they've flown in. I doubt I'll sleep tonight...just keep thinking of the positives!!! Thank you for your kind words xxx?

• Posted

You're so welcome 🙂

Not it easy I know but try to pamper yourself - have a lovely bath, listen to your favourite music, go for a stroll - anything to distract your mind.  

It's all transitional and remember this time tomorrow you'll be back in bed and on your way to a speedy recovery. 

Will be thinking of you X

• Posted

Elaine

I felt exactly the same back in April when I was going in for my full abdominal hysterectomy I even went and had my will drawn up with my solicitor,  sounds crazy but that was where my head was at the time...well I'm over five months on from my op, back at work and although I'm still very tired my recovery has gone very well...I had a great surgeon, my op was difficult as I had 10 fibroids and a cyst on my ovary but I was looked after so well in hospital...there is no point in me telling you not to worry as you will...what I will say is take as much time to rest and heal as you can, do not overdo things and no heavy lifting for at least six months, start to exercise when you feel ready, I'm doing yoga, swimming and some walking which is enough for me. If you have family around you let them spoil you, my fiancé and mum were great, they did everything for me for the first few weeks...

• Posted

My family and partner are fab full of love and support now never mind afterwards.. ..thank you for your reply after reading everyone else's feelings before has really made me see I'm not alone with my thoughts.. your all such amazing people can't thank you all enough xxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.