Dread the winter

Posted , 7 users are following.

Had fibro for 3years now and find the winter months the worst time of.my life as my fibro gets too it's worst during the cold.months and my sleep goes out of the window now having hip problems on top of all this so due to go to pysio this month so my mobility problems r even worse it's also setting off.my anxiety worrying about how il get threw the winter

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarapainfree

Try not to think long term but day by day if you can otherwise it get's too depressing!   I hate the winter too. It's dark when I leave work and I hate driving in the dark.  Have you tried epsom salts/dead sea salt baths to help with the hip, or I have also used the wheat bags as they mould around the body.   Sending you a very gentle hug to try and make you feel better.

• Posted

Some people use a bright light (best first thing in the morning) shininig on their face. It's a treatment for SAD (seasonal affective disorder), I'm not saying you have SAD but we can all benefit from the treatment if we find the dark months tough. I know how you feel. This will be my first winter with fibro, so I'm not sure what to expect, but trying to stay positive and stick to my diet and exercise plans.

• Posted

Hi Sara. Yes winters are a real factor contributing to pain with FM. So you need to stay warm sweetie. A Hot water bottle is my friend. Hot Epsom Salt baths, warm slippers, a soft wooly throw, ginger tea, a bit of chillies in your food if tolerated and mild exercise (gentle walking) to get the blood circulating. I live in Australia and believe it or not the winters are quite chilly. We do not have heating in our homes in the area I live in my State so it gets very cold in the house. I use a little plug in heater but from one room to the other, the temperature is all over the place. Staying warm during those months is a real challenge. So rugging up is important to stay warm. You will cope better than you think Sara. Never despair. Just take measures to keep yourself warm and comfy. Maggie xx
  • Posted

Hi Sara

You will get through the winter by keeping yourself warm...fibro hates cold. So warm pants, wool knee socks, warm sweaters, warm coat that comes to your knees and closes all the way down, warm hat on your heat, warm boots on your feet...

warm bubble baths not showers, electric mattress pad beneath your topper and sheet, flannel or better yet Polar Fleece sheets, lofty down comforter, and the thermostat set to 73 degrees Fahrenheit.

The more you stay in, the easier your fibro will be, avoid going out during storms, stay home in evenings, have warm meals...

All of this will give you back some control...

And sleep, good sleep.. you are probably Melatonin deficient.. take 3 mg or less two hours before bedtime. Make your bedroom pitch black. And go to bed on a schedule. In no time you will feel improved.

kind regards

judith

• Posted

Thank you all for your comments not been on due to being so I'll with anxiety I have taken all your advice on board and it's very much appreciated takecare

• Posted

Sorry to hear you are suffering so.  Take care and keep warm. At least we can help support each other when times get tough.  Thinking of  you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.