DREAMS

Posted , 7 users are following.

This will probably seem strange, but does anyone experience having dreams during the night then waking up next day not knowing if the dream u had was just a dream or real. Its a side effect of Cital but what a wierd one??? Or am I going loopy?

LiS

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I had a dream after taking Citalopram and it seemed really real, except it had ghosts in it so I knew it was a dream. I had to think for a mo when I was awake.

I don't often have involved or indepth dreams, and when I do I remember them mostly the next day.

I believe my dream to one of anxiety.

• Posted

I thought this was something that only happened to me. I have had the most bizarre dreams, and in the morning wake to find that there's no point re-telling it to my husband, because I think I've already told him about it, only to find that I'd dreamt I'd told him. (if you follow me)

The other night I was convinced that we had a mini earthquake or that the creepy bed -shakers had arrived, it was weird.

• Posted

suffered nightmares before being put on citalopram, once i was on it i usually dreamt really mundane things, like food shopping!!!, one time on the citalopram though i had a fantastic dream (was the only good experience i had with the tablets!!) where i was taking photographs of the most beautiful landscapes... really surreal and colourful..
  • Posted

Hi LiS,

I've had dreams like this for years, long before Citalopram. I suspect this is a result of stress, for me. I recall scenes even weeks later and I honestly can not be certain, for a few minutes, whether I'm recalling a movie, a good book, something I was told very vividly .... no, dammit, it was a dream!

Even though stress may be a factor, the dreams are not usually stress-related or \"bad\". I may go months without having such a dream, which probably emphasises the imagery of those I do have.

Perhaps it would be advisable to mention this to your doctor.

Kind regards.

• Posted

One of the side effects (besides disturbed sleep) is very lucid dreams. So far in my case they have all been happy ones, so I quite enjoy this side effect. I wonder how it is for others?
  • Posted

So IM not just imaginning then, thank God for that whoever he may be. I have to serioously query whether I had a dream or I actually did it etc. I have times where I wake up screaming at something about to kill me or something wierd like that. I told the Doc who says its a side effect.......what a side effect...better than LSD or something..............at least it isnt just me then IM glad.

Lost....etc

TAKE CARE ALL

• Posted

I can reassure anyone who has these strange dreams that they will pass.

I had one where I woke up and thought I had acted them out and when I walked down the road the next day I still felt guilty of what I'd done. I seeked reassurance from my cousellor and since then I've only had a couple which were a lot less disturbing. It has been 10 weeks now. THe first two weeks were the hardest of my life but I feel its been worth it. :D

• Posted

im experiencing horrid dreams where im going mad and totally confused, dont know who my husband is (my ex or present husband) and actually have too look to check! being violent to family members etc . wake up and feel confused and guilty all day. dad is dying so think this is stress related, do you think if i start the citalopram the dreams will stop. during the day i stress about something obsessivley every day. my hubby comes home from work and says, \"so what is it today then!\" just want a break from my head birling! x
  • Posted

Ahh, so you are all saying that eventually I will be able to sleep whilst taking Citalopram??!
  • Posted

Gail, my Doc tells me to take Cit in the mornigs and they will help me sleep. I do sleep but only in 4 hr blocks if IM lucky. I suppose 4hrs is better than none but it aint enuff really. BUt the thing to remember is everyone is different in how drugs react with them.
  • Posted

I have been having very vivid dreams, but most of them quite upsetting, sad dreams. and so real, that It takes a few minutes when I wake to realise its just a dream, yet even after realising its just a dream, that feeling of terror, sadness whatever it may be, revisits you throughout the day.

I have always had trouble with sleep. but so i can't say if its affected my sleep patterns for certain, but I do feel like its harder to get to sleep. I have been on Cit for almost 2 months, just upped dosage to 30mg about 2 weeks ago.

• Posted

Hi all

I've been taking Citalopram for 8 weeks now. I've always had vivid and lucid dreams, but since being on the tablets they are even more so!!! They're incredibly real and so much so I often wake in a real confused daze. That said none of them have been nightmares or bad dreams, so that's a relief.

Have to say sleep wise they have made me get a regular amount each night, no more lying awake stressing about this, that and the other.

I guess everyone has differing experiences, though I was relieved to find others having the same mad dreams.

Only other effects were feeling sick at first, but that passed and the odd hot flush, sweating, particularly when I'm nervous.

Take care all x

• Posted

im just goin to start cit 2nite been puting it of for weeks i also take diazapan im just scared of the side affects but then again the tabs mite make me feel better
  • Posted

Hi everyone

I've wandered in from the fluoxetine forum - i hope you don't mind. Have been on the drug since Dec last year. Started having vivid dreams - some pleasant, some not - at about 6 weeks. Then they went away and now they are back. They are very disjointed and sometimes scary - the pleasant ones seem to have gone now.

I do sometimes wake up and have to take a reality check.

So it looks like this a side effect of more than one SSRI.

I've stopped watching telly (a drastic move) but i found that bits of programmes were appearing in my dreams.

Best wishes to one and all

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.