Dreams and intimacy

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone I've been on citalopram since February, started at 10mg and still felt the same for weeks so my doctor then prescribed 20mg and I've felt great apart from the strange dreams, does anyone get these? Like I have constant dreams about the way I felt before with anxiety and panic but also just really odd things happen and I'm so relieved when I've woke! Also when it comes to sex it's just not the same :-S

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

How long on 20?
    • Posted

Hi there, not sure sbout the dreams, but the good part is your getting some sleep, and I am female and for me the sex was not good for me at all, didn't feel good or bad, no orgasm, was not enjoyable, I was on 20 mg for 4 months and off of them now for 1 month and the sex is much, much better! This seems like the sex thing is also different for everyone, but feeling better is very important! Beth
    • Posted

Thanks Beth I think you just start to think it's you with the sex and my partner feels a bit helpless lol but thank you, not quite ready to give up on them yet though xx
  • Posted

Hi jbell

Been on CIT 20mg for 12 months .all good now,no probs with anxiaty.

Sex is prolonged which is great!!!

Dreams are frequent maybe 2_3 every night.they are weird and about something in the past.or what has happened or said the previous day.

Maybe its our minds healing and sorting things out.bit like a computer. Defragmentation!!!???

• Posted

Yeh the dreams can be horrendous at times :-S the one I just had was my anxiety was back and just not feeling myself like back in Feb before I started the meds and I have several during the night aswell!! I would love to have a full nights sleep but that doesn't really happen but still get a few hours
  • Posted

I had really strange dreams mainly about the things I was anxious about but they were so intense that when I woke up I felt really drained at the beginning, it did get less of a problem after a while,my sex drive was non existent as well so I think what your going through is normal 

I have started to  ween myself off now as I feel better and more positive about my future, but taking 20mg of cit for the last year definetly helped me get through a difficult time in my life and the side effects were worth it. 

Its worth persevering for a while till you feel stronger, hope this helps and your future will be brighter 

• Posted

Thanks Gillian smile but yes they have helped me and I'm not quite ready to come off them yet but to know people have experienced the same makes me feel a lot better xx
  • Posted

Hi Jbell, I have been on citalopram for a n umber of years now. I started on 40mg

and now fluctuate between 20mg and 10mg.  I dont know if you are aware but there are two main types of depresion.  First of all there is the depression when you are feeling sad and low all the time, and then there is clinical depression which is an illness that is generally brought on by health problems. I suffer from the later which i experienced after a number of operations which obviously took there toll on my general health. So I need to take them to keep on top of this problem.

To get back to your problem of dreams this a side effect that I suffer from which if you read the litrature that comes with the medication states is one of the side effects. Mine generally focus on on my previous work life which is always negative which leaves me feeling worthless when I wake. And yet in my work life

i was respected for what I did unlike my dreams. Hope this helps in some way

• Posted

Thank you 😁 I maybe should have read the side affects but I didn't really want to because I thought then I would worry lol xx
  • Posted

I have extremely vivid dreams on this medicine. They are mostly good dreams but they feel super real. As for the sex, I have noticed a bit that it takes longer, but I think it's worth it not to feel anxious all the time.
    • Posted

Yeh it's not like nightmares but they are just so strange at times and that's exactly what I meant with the sex it takes ages and I end up giving up lol but it's defo helped with the anxiety smile which is defo a bonus
  • Posted

I've been on 20 mg citalopram for 4 years. My sex drive is almost nonexistent. I've also had the same partner for four years and he's been very supportive but it's definitely been a strain on our relationship. Exercise definitely boosted my libido. Without exercise I pretty much flatline in bed and then I just do it to fulfill his needs. There's a lot of just doing it because he needs it. lol you become a good actress wink
    • Posted

Haha I feel like that aswell sometimes Elisa, just what he needs and then I'm done in lol but defo getting the hang of being an actress aswell lol x
  • Posted

Hey,

Dreams oh yeah I have em every night not nightmares just very vivid although starting to wake and notremember them I think the brain is working hard to repair the inbalancement in chemicals and there has to be some wierd side effects of that dreams whatever.... The other night I was dreaming about an ex work colleagues who I havent thought of for years and rats biting my feet so I kicked them away hiting my wife in the ankle needless to say she wasnt happy and she kinda doesnt get it the whole side effect thing from citalopram etc I know i'm pretty special case wink !!!

• Posted

Haha yeh exactly Stevo, I defo know exactly what you re talking about!! You had the rats and I had a dream that it was cats scratching me lol but I have dreams about anxiety and me panicking and things which is strange cause I wake up thinking I don't feel that way now but hey ho it's helped me a lot and that's the main thing x
    • Posted

Hey Jbell, Awesome that you are cool with the weird dreams being anxious is better when its a dream than real lol ! stay positive you have a great sense of humor which is vital in trying times! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.